Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
govi
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Govinda Naik

Veeam agent for windows Workstation and server edition.

Post by govi »

Hi Guys,

Update 4 was most awaited update for me and as veeam proud customer, i was having lot of expectation specially wit Veeam Agent for Windows specially now a days with ransome virus endpoint backup also plays a crucial role.

For past one year i was waiting for multiple backup option so that its possible to have multiple backup Job even after paying few $ and get paid license but when actually 3.0 released, i was bit surprised. Workstation Edition allow you to configure multiple Job but second backup job has to be on cloud connect. Now, pay for Veeam workstation/server license and again pay for cloud connect service that puts extra financial burden on company. Even if we pay for cloud connect service and take this service, in real world scenario how we can make use of cloud connect service, if we choose entire PC to upload to cloud connect services its gonna take longer(1st full backup) even you got decent upload speed of 25Mbps(I call it decent, no budget for higher speed :) ) . Even if you manage to upload data, in case that user happens to be in poor connectivity and we need to restore some huge data(2 to 5 GB for Example) then its gonna takes atleast 5 to 6 hours. So i still don't have clear understanding why cloud connect option made available in workstation edition. Even if its One Drive for Business(remove the limitation only to OS partition) at least that would have been one plus point to convince Management of Company that look we can use one Drive for Business to Storage backup Files and just need to buy workstation license and our offsite backup strategy in Place with minimum investment. upload and download question still exit even with One Drive for Business but we dont need to spend more money. This is purely my point of view, and off course no one wants to spend extra money.

Only one Logic i can think that workstation license only allow second backup to cloud connect is that in case on-premise storage has some issue on which backup resides and backup data is not accessible ( natural calamity like fire, flood ) and data is no longer available to restore then we can get the data back from cloud connect apart from that i don't see any real advantage of cloud connect service.

Same objective could be achieved using One Drive for Business as well in which client or SME don't need to spend much money to buy one cloud service.

If you have better picture or scenario which justify the purchase of workstation license then let me know. Workstation License will allow you to push agent from central location and all those feature are clear to me but again we don't have much control on backup job when we use workstation License. Start, stop backup job is not possible i guess when we use workstation edition which is integrated to Veeam B& R console( Till now what i understood from my testing)

Server Edition License:- Server Edition License will let you configure multiple job and does not restrict much but when i look at the price it was higher side and specially you have large number users and budget is limited.

When you create policy in Veeam B& R console and add laptops in that you can apply policy to all the laptop, for example i have created one policy, 1st backup NAS and 2nd Backup on One Drive for Business. For Some reason one of the User 1st backup failed and you manage to fix the issue on that laptop and you want to run the backup on that particular laptop, as per my testing and understanding from test, you cant run backup job on that single laptop(Using server Edition) So i go to Policy and right click and run the backup. Now all the laptops are in that policy will run the backup just because of one laptop had some issue and rest of the laptop backup was fine! Correct me if i am wrong here. Alternate option is to create policy for each laptop in server console, so that whenever you can start and stop the job of that Laptop but this is not practical when we talk about 25 to 30 Laptop which needs to be managed.

Thanks,
Govi
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam agent for windows Workstation and server edition.

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Govi.

Thank you for the detailed and honest feedback!
So i still don't have clear understanding why cloud connect option made available in workstation edition
We want to let Cloud Connect users to keep one backup locally (for fast recoveries) and one at the remote repository. Same data set is not required at all - you can keep entire PC backup on the local storage and ship the important files via File level backup mode to Cloud Connect repository.
One Drive for Business(remove the limitation only to OS partition) at least that would have been one plus point to convince Management of Company that look we can use one Drive for Business to Storage backup Files and just need to buy workstation license and our offsite backup strategy in Place with minimum investment. upload and download question still exit even with One Drive for Business but we dont need to spend more money.
Are you saying that you would use one backup job to OneDrive as a target and another backup job to a local repository? May I ask what backup sets are you going to protect with such approach (will the files/volumes be the same)?
Workstation License will allow you to push agent from central location and all those feature are clear to me but again we don't have much control on backup job when we use workstation License. Start, stop backup job is not possible i guess when we use workstation edition which is integrated to Veeam B& R console
Yes, this functionality is not provided by managed by agent jobs within Veeam B&R now, but it's planned for the next versions.
For Some reason one of the User 1st backup failed and you manage to fix the issue on that laptop and you want to run the backup on that particular laptop, as per my testing and understanding from test, you cant run backup job on that single laptop(Using server Edition)
It's possible: open Inventory, find the desired machine under the protection group, right click it and hit Quick backup. Thanks!
govi
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Govinda Naik

Re: Veeam agent for windows Workstation and server edition.

Post by govi »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. In regards to below question

Are you saying that you would use one backup job to OneDrive as a target and another backup job to a local repository? May I ask what backup sets are you going to protect with such approach (will the files/volumes be the same)?

1st Backup:- Entire Computer Backup on local repository since it makes lot of sense to use local repository due to speed. This will help me quick retrieval of Volume and files.
2nd Backup:- file level backup on One Drive for Business (same like what is available in cloud connect service) problem what i see right now with cloud connect service is that, I need to buy space in cloud connect provider. So if we had both the options available( upload file level backup in One Drive for Business or cloud connect) those who already got cloud connect service available then they can make use of it or else use One Drive for Business( Most organization uses office 365 account and got One Drive for Business)Rather investing in Cloud connect service, i prefer to go for Server license because i will have more flexibility and greater control over backup jobs.

Adding more challenges, may be you could suggest something on below......

Something which i find challenging right now is to take care of Roaming User backup. Roaming users they are out of office for months and months and hardly gets connected to corporate network, so local repository is not a good option. in this case what do you suggest, If laptop crashes they I should be in position to restore the entire OS and files. Only option i see is to use one drive for Business or cloud connect but i am concern over amount of time it will take to restore entire laptop in cash of crash( data appx 100GB). offcourse that depends on bandwidth of that particular office or place.

It's possible: open Inventory, find the desired machine under the protection group, right click it and hit Quick backup.

Yes, Defiantly, I am gonna try this again and see how it goes.

To be Honest, i am very big fan of Veeam and Always talks about veeam when it comes to backup. "Veeam Never fails, when it comes to Backup".

Thanks,

Govi