Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Do Veeam B&R network traffic rules also apply to Veeam Agent Backups?

Post by wa15 »

Situation: Backing up 300 systems spanned across 15 sites. Each site has its own unique bandwidth rules. I want to automatically provision client backups with an AD security group, however I don't want to create 15 separate protection groups in Veeam AND 15 security groups in AD. The agent throttling options are per protection group.

Question: Does the Veeam B&R global network traffic rules also apply to Veeam Agent backups? If so, this can make setup much easier as I can just define the global traffic rules instead of per protection group. Looks like this was the case in V2 but not sure how V3 behaves. I am using B&R U4 with Agent for Windows V3.

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Do Veeam B&R network traffic rules also apply to Veeam Agent Backups?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello wa15,

Yes, global network traffic rules work for agents.
If so, this can make setup much easier as I can just define the global traffic rules instead of per protection group. Looks like this was the case in V2 but not sure how V3 behaves.
Global network traffic rules can be configured across all Veeam B&R components. VAW network rules are linked to protection groups and will work only for Windows machines within desired protection group. You can use both if that's required.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 »

Great to know! Thanks Dima. If both global network traffic rules AND protection group network rules are enabled, will the protection group rule apply instead of global? Sorry if this info was in the documentation and I missed it.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

You are welcome. With both rules applied agent will use both global rules and protection group network rules at the same time. Cheers!