Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
abernut
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Abernathy

Dell MD3200i

Post by abernut »

We are just about finished migration all our VMs from an old 4.5 environment to a new 6.5 environment. During this migration we spun up a brand new Win2K16 server with a fresh version of Veeam B&R 9.5.

We are also migrating from a large flat IP Scheme for all devices to a VLAN environment where there is a VLAN for Storage, Servers, Management, etc…
My Backup Repository on my new Veeam server is current a shared drive “B:” on OLDBKSRVR which is connected via the iSCSI Initiator to our Dell MD3200i. We did this initially to keep backups flowing while we migrated the servers.

I now need to spin down that last VM, OLDBKSRVR. But I think I may have painted myself into a box since that is where all my backups currently connect to.

What would be the best way to connect my current Veeam server to the Dell MD3200i? Can I just configure the iSCSI Initiator on the new Veeam server or should I look at using iSNS?

Thank you,
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Dell MD3200i

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I tend to keep things as simple as possible and would do it the same way as you did before: just use iSCSI.

What I did not understand is how you are able to share an iSCSI target as only one Windows OS can access a disk (except Windows clusters). Not sure whether this part of your post is relevant.

Best regards,
Hannes