Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Borg
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Borg Eternal Emperor

Backup on encrypted file container

Post by Borg »

Hello.

Is it safe to save all backups to a mounted drive that is a 3rd party encrypted file container (like Veracrypt or something similar) ?
Except the small performance penalty, is there any known issue when using instant recovery from an encrypted file container ?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Backup on encrypted file container

Post by PTide »

Hi,

It should be fine as long as the user that your Veeam service runs under has transparent access to that drive. Otherwise, if the user is prompted for an authentication to access files on the drive, restore operations will fail. I suggest you running a small test job and trying if Instant Recovery will work.

Thanks!
Borg
Enthusiast

Post by Borg »

Hello. The volumes will be pre-mounted, nothing needed to access them. They will show just like any other normal volumes, so Veeam will have complete read/write access to them.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

In case your mount host is located on another machine, you need to ensure that it can also access the container. Please also note that we haven't tested that configuration, thus it is not officially supported. Have you considered using built-in backup encryption functionality?

Thanks!
Borg
Enthusiast

Post by Borg » 1 person likes this post

Hello.
I had some time and I tested. Saving and restoring from encrypted container does work.
I'll also like to test if instant recovery can be launched like that, but I guess it should be no problems since everything else worked.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Thank you for coming back with good news, much appreciated!