Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
powersjo
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Jonathan Powers

Capacity Tier. Unsupported legacy data block format

Post by powersjo »

New issue: I am trying to move my old backups to Amazon S3. After following this at the helpcenter (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4) i cannot move the full backup file. I get this error:

1/24/2019 4:43:48 PM :: Failed to offload backup Error: Data block stats: unsupported legacy data block format: [95]
1/24/2019 4:43:48 PM :: Data block stats: unsupported legacy data block format: [95]

This job is reverse incremental backup job. Does this mean only incremental full backups can be in Amazon S3?
Thank you,
- Powersjo :mrgreen:

https://powersjo.com/veeam
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Add AWS S3 as an external repository

Post by Gostev »

Jonathan, the topic you've original posted in is about different functionality (external repository), so in future please don't derail it with an irrelevant disccussions.

If you want to discuss an issue with the Capacity Tier functionality, please open a support case and reference it here, as per the forum rules.

Generally speaking, reversed incremental backups are fully supported for offload to object storage. But may be your backups were created by a non-recent B&R version, which causes the issue? Just guessing, our support engineers will be able to tell you for sure.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Capacity Tier. Unsupported legacy data block format

Post by veremin »

According to QA and DEV teams, they have not seen this issue before, so, it's indeed recommended opening a support ticket and providing its number here (should speed up the investigation process). Thanks!
powersjo
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Jonathan Powers

Post by powersjo » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

My Case was 03382150.

We believe the root cause was:
#1 The reverse full backup file was created with VBR version 9.5.0.823 and using optimal compression.
#2 I then updated veeam to 9.5 update 4 (9.5.4.2615) and changed the compression to extreme on that job.

After those changes the format change became incompatible to brake down and put on AWS (Unsupported legacy data block format).

#3 I kept extreme compression and created a new full backup.
#4 I waited two days and created another full backup.
#5 I moved the new full from step #3 and one incremental that was the same Veeam version (9.5 update 4) and same compression level (extreme) to AWS. Everything worked fine.

Moral of the story, when moving to AWS make sure the chain of backups is the same compression level and veeam version level and you should not run into issues.
Thank you,
- Powersjo :mrgreen:

https://powersjo.com/veeam
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Jonathan, thank you very much for coming back to share the solution! This really does not happen here as often as I'd like ;)