Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Linux repositories: Red Hat VDO

Post by evilaedmin »

Has anyone with a Linux repository done any work or testing with Red Hat VDO (Virtual Data Optimizer), recently supported with RHEL 7.5 and 7.6? A fully-supported deduplication solution is very intriguing, given that ZFS deduplication does not work very well and its use will never be supported by Red Hat, Inc.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Linux repositories: Red Hat VDO

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hey evilaedmin,

From the Veeam side, we did not do any testing (at least not that I am aware off at this moment)

We did had someone from the community test but he received issues with FLR: veeam-backup-replication-f2/feature-req ... 52841.html

Brgds,
Mike
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

It sounds like what was reported in the forum thread that Mike linked is specifically when using VDO within a guest and then performing FLR for that guest. That's different from using VDO on a Linux-based repo to build your own dedupe SDS appliance.

I see some references to VDO on the main Ceph website so I wonder if eventually various Ceph implementation from Red Hat, SUSE, etc may offer built-in dedupe courtesy VDO?

https://ceph.com/geen-categorie/shrinki ... -with-vdo/

Joe
keksbert
Novice
Liked: never

Post by keksbert »

Hallo, is there an update on the topic here. has veem done tests of vdo in the context of linux repositories? greetings from berlin