Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
McClane
Expert
Liked: 11 times

New GFS daily

Post by McClane »

Hi,

do I get this right in the What's new section of Update 4: GFS can have a daily incremental now? In the GUI it's not that clear because to options look the same as for weekly, monthly and so on.
McClane
Expert

Re: New GFS daily

Post by McClane »

Okay, I just found in the partly updated documentation for U4 that the daily is indeed an incremental backup.

So, if I make a new GFS set with 7 dailies, 4 weeklies and 6 monthlies, what would I get tape wise (if all fits on one tape)?
1 tape with 7 incrementals, 4 tapes with weekly fulls and 6 with monthly fulls
or is it 1 tape with 6 incrementals, 3 weekly fulls and 6 monthly fulls?

I am not quite sure what Veeam will do when a daily and weekly falls on the same day, or weekly and monthly.

What I want is:

Do a full backup to tape from the Friday disk job, keep for 4 weeks. Saturday till Thursday incremental for 2 weeks, and the first full backup in a month in the monthly pool for 6 month.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi McClane.

Yes, Daily media set is designed to keep the incremental (or at some occasions full backups) inside GFS media pool.
So, if I make a new GFS set with 7 dailies, 4 weeklies and 6 monthlies, what would I get tape wise (if all fits on one tape)?
It would require at least 3 tapes as media sets are independent from each other.
I am not quite sure what Veeam will do when a daily and weekly falls on the same day, or weekly and monthly.
When backup Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Quarterly and Yearly backup schedule overlaps full backup will be placed to the elder media set. Following incremental restore points are going to be linked to such full backup (as full backup wont be placed to daily in such case). Makes sense?
McClane
Expert

Post by McClane »

Yes, I guess it's clearer now. I will do a one or two month test run before I migrate my jobs to GFS. Thanks.
bucoops
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Richard

Post by bucoops » 1 person likes this post

I went all giddy when I saw Daily GFS support :D Can't wait to find the time to try it.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Richard,

That's music to my ears! Please let us know about your experience, questions or issues. Cheers!
bucoops
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Richard

Post by bucoops » 1 person likes this post

Will do - there's a slight pause as something went wrong with updating Veeam ONE which support are assisting with, when that's done I'll look at updating B&R :)