Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Jestr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jacob Estrin

Surebackup and Tapes

Post by Jestr »

Hello,

I am in the process of designing/impelmenting Veeam in our production environment. All is going well, but I have come across a point that I would love to have clarification on.

with our implementation we plan to have 3 seperate backup jobs: Tier1Backup, Tier2Backup and LinuxBackup.

Each of these jobs will be triggered concurrently by utilizing post-powershell scripts. Once the LinuxBackup is completed, the plan was to have the post command trigger backupexec to wrap the backups to tape.

The issue that I have is that I want to implement SureBackup verification to confirm that all the VM backups are good. This should happen before the backupexec job, but Surebackup doesn't have an option to run a post command upon completion.

Can anyone suggest a way to have the backupexec job to start after surebackup completion?

To summarize, I would like our backup process to be as follows:

1) 7:00 PM Tier1Backup Start
2) Tier1Backup Complete - Post Job = Tier2Backup Start
3) Tier2Backup Complete - Post Job = LinuxBackup Start
4) LinuxBackup Complete - Post Job = SureBackup Start
5) SureBackup Complete... .... Backup Exec Job Start (this is the problem step.)

Thanks for your help

Jacob
Alexey D.

Re: Surebackup and Tapes

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Jacob,

As of now, there is no such a functionality to trigger post-job script for a SureBackup job, we will consider this as feature request.
Jestr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jacob Estrin

Post by Jestr »

Hello,

I seem to have found a way around this limitation. I have written a script that will "kick off" the surebackup job. It wil then wait until surebackup is finished and will start the backup exec job.

Code: Select all

Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapIn

$job = “SureBackup Verification”
$time = “1/1/1900 12:00:00 AM”

Start-VSBJob $job

Do {
start-sleep 5
$status = Get-vsbsession | where {$_.name –eq $job -and $_.EndTime –eq $time}
}
Until ($status.endtime –ne $time)

BackuptoTape.cmd
Please comment if you see any issues with this script or any ways to make it better.
Cheers.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jacob,

Yes, that should make a trick, however please be aware that this cmdlet wouldn't return you a "Success" or "Failed" job status, it will only show you whether the SB job is running or not, but I believe it should be enough for now.

Thanks.