Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
govi
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Govinda Naik

Script to upgrade Veeam standalone Veeam agent to Latest Version 3.0

Post by govi »

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to create script which will upgrade Veeam agent for Windows to latest edition. Veeam Agent has in build feature which checks for the update regularly but that you need to download and install Manually in case if you are using veeam agent as standalone.

Downloading each and every workstation takes lot of bandwidth and require lot of Man power to do upgrade and time consuming process, so i was wondering if any script which can be executed(silent installation, much better) on all the nodes which has older version of veeam agent for windows and upgraded to latest version will make work IT Support Guys job easy.

Thanks,

Govi
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Script to upgrade Veeam standalone Veeam agent to Latest Version 3.0

Post by wishr »

Hi Govi,

Are you looking for unattended installation? Also, I should mention that Agent Management has been designed for this use-case.

Thanks
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi,

Basically I am using free version of Veeam Agent for Windows as stand alone which is integrated to Veeam Backup repository so that allow me to see if machine is backed up and how many restore points are available.Now, would like to update this free agent to latest version although not much difference in free edition in old version and new version but, I would like to upgrade it latest free version. Agent Management requires license version and we don't have any plans to buy license as of now and we don't feel we require to upgrade to paid version since we are satisfied with free version, only challenging part to upgrade the software.

Thanks,

Govi
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Then good news for you: you can use a brand new Community Edition B&R bundle (free) introduced with B&R9.5 U4 release that will provide you with 10 free instances at no cost and offers the same capabilities as Standard edition, or stick with the aforementioned unattended installation.

Please note, that in case of upgrading to VAW 3.0 you require to upgrade your B&R installation to Update 4 as well since you back up to B&R repository.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Fedor
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi Fedor,

I am glade to know that community edition cover up to 10 instance. Is this edition can do all automated backup jon of VM. Previous version was not allowing automated backup job to run.

Let me give you more information about my infra. I have got Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 update 4 Standard Edition License which covers 5 VM( Purchased license one year back) and been already updated Veeam server to update 4. Now I am finding difficulty to go each and every PC and update to Veeam Agent for Windows to 3.0. I am very fascinated with latest technologies and feature and like to keep everything updated to latest.

So do we have any script or an option which will allow me to upgrade Veeam agent for Windows?

Thanks,

Govi
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi,

Yes, Community Edition is the same as Standard one, but limited to 10 instances. Please refer to the links above for more information on the new licensing and product editions. Please note that since you are saying you own an obsolete per-VM license and have already upgraded to U4, then I assume you are on a 90-days grace period and will require to apply a new instance-based license soon (that can be obtained from our licensing portal).

No, there are no ways to upgrade standalone VAW installations apart from the aforementioned ones.

Btw, how many standalone Agents you have?

Thanks
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi,

When it comes to instance its means 5 VM and 5 Windows Agent(Can be Workstation or Server)?

I have got appx 30 Standlone Agents which are using Free Edition.

Thanks,

Govi
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Govi,

You can refer to the conversion table in the aforementioned instances article to determine the number of required instances. Each protected workload consumes a certain amount, depending on the product editions in use. Also, you can refer to that post by Gostev for additional information.

Unfortunately, Community edition will not be enough for managing 30 Agents by Agent Management (in your case you can cover 5 VMs and 5 Workstations or 5 VMs, 1 Server, 2 Workstations), however, it should be enough to protect a small environment.

Regards,
Fedor
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi Wishr,

Thanks for the info. I have one more scenario since you mentioned about Community edition. This type of scenario is very common in my organization where we have 4 VM and handful of users (5 to 10).

One of the location, I have got 4 VM and we installed Veeam Backup and replication standard license on it (1 socket) and Veeam Agent what i am using is free version in that branch office for laptops/Desktop . This agent are standalone agent but integrated with Veeam backup repository. so I can see status of veeam agents in backup veeam B&R console( Not managed agent centally but not i can control agent). So i was thinking to take off Standard license and use Veeam B&R 9.5 community Edition on this server, so 4 Instance will go for 4 VM and 6 Instance I am Planning to use as server Edition(basically for critical manager laptops) and rest of free Agent will remain as if it is. Is that ok. Can be done?

Standard License which i am going to take out from server will be utilized in a place where I am short of licenses in case. I don't think i ll be needing any technical support since branch office is small.

Thanks,

Govi
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Govi,

In U4, standalone Agents backing up to B&R repository will consume instances when working with Community Edition of B&R (the checkmark "Allow Free Agents to consume Free instances" is intentionally disabled in Community Edition). Note that in the previous versions, it was not possible to use Free Agents with Free B&R at all, so this is an improvement.

If you'd to utilize Agent Management mode or capabilities provided by the Server and Workstation editions, instances to cover agents will be required as well.

Regards,
Fedor
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi Wishr,

Thanks for the reply.
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi Wishr,

One more question is rolling in my mind as per old licensing, if you have veeam B&R 9.5 u3 license and if you wish to use veeam agent for Windows free, integrated with Veeam B&R 9.5 u3 2 console( I mean to say, select Veeam backup repository from option on agent when you configure free agent). Only catch was that if you use free agent then all should be free agent, you cant mix free agent with paid one, if you try to mix or try to install agent license then all free agent will convert to paid version. Still same condition exist? Or with instance based license i can keep few free agent and few paid agent since I saw option convert free agent to license version. if I don't select this option then my free agent will remain free?

Thanks,
Govi.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

You cannot mix Free and Paid Agents managed by Veeam B&R as it was previously, if that's the question. Thanks!
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi,
Thanks... that was question.