Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
XanderN
Lurker
Liked: never

Job Session Report & Errors

Post by XanderN »

Hi. I'm new in here. I startet yesterday to install Veeam Backup and made a Testrun today.I ve got 2 Errors which makes me crazy. Please could you help me how i could handle this errors?

1) Releasing VM files CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef vm-68, timeout 1800000, snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory False, quiesce True Creating a quiesced snapshot failed because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine.

The Server is running and i could reach it. Is it a port problem?

2) Retrieving file list startIndex cannot be larger than length of string. Parameter name: startIndex

Scriptbug?

Thank you for your help
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Job Session Report & Errors

Post by Gostev »

Hello, could you please send all logs from Help | Support Information to support@veeam.com? Having all logs, our support will be able to investigate and help you resolve these errors. Error description is usually not enough to find the cause for the issue.
iteve
Novice
Full Name: Iteve

Post by iteve »

Hello!

Exactly the same problem over here. Any clue on that?

thank!

dani
iteve
Novice

Post by iteve »

Wait a minute! I just realised that the VM I was trying to replicate had an Independent disk (excluded from Snapshooting). I'm gonna try it again and keep you updated.
iteve
Novice

Post by iteve »

False alarm. Making the disk "not independent" didn't help.

So, do you have any other clue about this problem?
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

1) Releasing VM files CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef vm-68, timeout 1800000, snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory False, quiesce True Creating a quiesced snapshot failed because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine.

This error is generated by VMware tools, and I was able to find the following KB fro VMware on this very topic:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/viewCo ... &sliceId=1

2) Retrieving file list startIndex cannot be larger than length of string. Parameter name: startIndex

This issue IS tied to the independent disks in the cases that I have seen with this error. Are you still seeing this after re-configuring the disk to a persistent state?

Have you opened a support ticket, and if so, can you advise the case number?

Thanks!
iteve
Novice

Post by iteve »

Hello,

After reconfiguring the VM, making all the discs NON independent, consolidating all the snapshots and some restarts the backup finally went fine. But I don't know what did the trick since I did a lot of changes.

dani
malds
Novice
Full Name: tom

Post by malds »

I am also getting this error, they are not independent disks. I will try consolidating the snapshots.
elgreco
Novice
Full Name: elgreco

Post by elgreco »

enabling VSS in veeam solved the error.
stevenfoo
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Steven Foo

Post by stevenfoo »

I am having the same issue here.

We have been using Veeam 3.1 to backup 3 VM guest on one ESX server for a long time now.
Recently we face an issue with one VM guest (windows 2000) with the following error.
There is another VM guest also windows 2000 backup but without error.

Since windows 2000 does not support VSS, it does not help to enabled VSS. I tried too enable VM Tools Quiescence but it also does not help, same error.

All disk on this guest VM is non-independent (independent option is not click).

Have also tried to reboot VM guest and also Veeam machine as well. Still does not work.

Anyone have any ideas? I have send to Veeam support but could not get a feasible reply and our backup could not run for days now.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Steven,

Please, do not post log snippets as requested per our Community forums rules. Since your issue requires full logs investigation, please continue working with our support team. By the way, could you please tell us what were the results of logs investigation and what is your ticket number.

Thanks.