Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
borislav
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Borislav Stancevic

How to add Hyper-V standalone host to Veeam Backup, there is no option for standalone!

Post by borislav »

Hi guys

We just bought a new server and I installed and configured Hyper-V on it. I migrated all of my machines and I would like to add this host in Veeam backup (9.5) but there is no option to add standalone host only VMM and cluster based hosts. Every guide on internet show 3 choices but I only have 2, standalone is missing as a choice. What am I missing? Please help out...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: How to add Hyper-V standalone host to Veeam Backup, there is no option for standalone!

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Borislav.

I am not sure how it is possible for you to NOT have such an option, when there's the ONLY option which covers all supported ways to register a Hyper-V infrastructure?

Can you perhaps share a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Thanks!
damyang
Lurker

Re: How to add Hyper-V standalone host to Veeam Backup, there is no option for standalone!

Post by damyang »

Borislav, I've had the same issue. Please check the screen resolution and the window size. If the resolution is too low or the DPI too big, the 3rd option for Hyper-V Standalone cannot fit into window (scroll bar does not appear either). Since you are not able to resize the window, fixing the resolution or DPI is the only way you Will be able to see that 3rd option.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Also please make sure you are using the latest release, Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4. Since Update 3a we've had fixes for several DPI-related issue which help to alleviate this. But worst case you may need to change your font size in Windows to make the window properly display all options.

Joe
borislav
Novice

Post by borislav »

Hi guys,

thank you for your replies. I have tried it on several computers and it is the same issue. We have old backup machine that has valid license for few weeks more and there I can see all three options but on this new backup machine we only have two. Is it possible that licensing is different (I know it's a longshot)? There is no way for me to add a screenshot so sorry about that @Gostev!

Boris
borislav
Novice

Post by borislav »

damyang wrote: Feb 04, 2019 8:21 am Borislav, I've had the same issue. Please check the screen resolution and the window size. If the resolution is too low or the DPI too big, the 3rd option for Hyper-V Standalone cannot fit into window (scroll bar does not appear either). Since you are not able to resize the window, fixing the resolution or DPI is the only way you Will be able to see that 3rd option.

Thank you so much! I did try to change the DPI but I cannot seem to get it working but I did like a blind choice because when I TAB there is that third choice down under. It worked! Have a great day all of you!

/Boris
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Boris,

Happy that it worked. Quick question, any change that you were doing an RDP session from your desktop/ laptop? If that is the case, that would explain why you can't change the DPI settings. It automatically inherits these from your machine, and with the latest models that give you extremely high DPI (Too high for me, or I would need reading glasses :-)) RDP sessions can become troublesome ;-)
borislav
Novice

Post by borislav »

Hi Mike,

yes, I have 4K screens on my desktop but it looks like laptop inherits settings from my desktop. The weird thing is that my colleague does not see the third option also and he does not have 4K...
Have a great day Mike!

Boris
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Boris,

Yes, RDP inherits those settings and I haven't found much information on how to "ignore" this. Only this setting that can be applied on the server itself:

Run regedit and follow this registry key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations
In WinStations registry key, create a DWORD (32-bit) value IgnoreClientDesktopScaleFactor
Set this value to 1
Reboot server

But I haven't tested it so no guarantees and don't use it in production first ;-)