Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mateusz.sobocinski
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Processing multiple VMs within the same time

Post by mateusz.sobocinski » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I think I have the simple question. :)

I configured the Veeam B&R add one Hyper-V host which is automatically selected as a backup proxy. When I start the Backup Job the Veeam process only 4 VMs in such Job within the same time. How to increase the number of processing VMs within the same time?

I already looked into the Backup infrastructure panel and find three places where probably it may be configured:
1. Backup repository - limit maximum concurrent tasks to: 10
2. Managed server - Manage Volumes - Maximum concurrent snapshots: 10
3. Managed server - Max concurrent tasks: 10

In each of the above sections I configured the value of 10, but the Veeam still processing only 4 VMs during the Backup Job.

What am I doing wrong?

DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Processing multiple VMs within the same time

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Please can you check Backup infrastructure -> Backup Proxies -> right-click on Hyper-V Proxy -> Properties.
I would recommend you to review this article about Limiting the number of Concurrent tasks before you made changes to configuration.
Also keep in mind each task is equal to VM disk, i.e. if VM has two disks it will be using 2 concurrent tasks for processing.

Thanks!
mateusz.sobocinski
Influencer

Post by mateusz.sobocinski »

Hi,

Thank for the reply.

I don't have any Hyper-V proxy listed in the backup proxies section instead of the default VMware proxy.
As I said before. My only backup proxy is the hypervisor (on-host proxy on which I host my VMs), and I want this proxy to process more than 4 vms within the same time.

Additionally, I already have vms only with single vhd. So in my opinion when I configure to process more than 4 vms the backup should start process not 4 vms but the value which I configured already.

Mateusz.
mpark
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Min Park

Post by mpark »

You are in the right track. You also need to increase the 'Max concurrent tasks' setting in your backup proxies, in this case, your hypervisor listed under 'Backup Proxies' as Dmitry mentioned in the post above.
Once you set the setting, you should be able to process more than 4 vm disks. Keep in mind that the recommended ratio for max concurrent task and vCPU(core) of the proxy is 1:1.
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Mateusz,

Sorry for misinformation, I've checked the wrong lab with the Off-host proxy on board.
Please can you check what does the job session show for the 5th VM which is waiting in the queue? What resource is it waiting?

Thanks!
mateusz.sobocinski
Influencer

Hi,

Thank You for the reply.

When I start the job, Veeam takes 4 VMs to processing and the rest of the VMs have the following information:
Resource not ready: Snapshot
mateusz.sobocinski
Influencer

Update.

I'm using the Software VSS provider if it is important thing.
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Mateusz,
mateusz.sobocinski wrote:I'm using the Software VSS provider if it is important thing
Yes, this is indeed an important fact. Please review the article about Hyper-V Settings which explains why it's always processing 4 VMs at a time. Thanks!
mateusz.sobocinski
Influencer

Ok, so this thing is clear for me. I should now focus on the Hardware VSS configuration.

So this is my second question. What conditions I should meet to properly configure the Hardware VSS? I have Fujitsu disk array and already installed Hardware VSS drier on both production and backup server. I think I already correctly configured the storage side in the Fujitsu disk array, but after the everything I list the available providers on the Hyper-V host and I can see the Hardware VSS provider. Unfortunately when listing the available providers on the Veeam B&R I can list only software VSS. Could You give me more tips how to properly configure it on the Veeam side?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Have you checked all the off-host proxy requirements? Is it a separate machine running exactly the same OS version with the Hyper-V role enabled? Have you assigned the proxy role to it? If everything looks correct, please contact support for a closer look at your configuration.
longnsr@dshs.wa.gov
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Longnecker

Post by longnsr@dshs.wa.gov »

This is an old post, but wondering, when you mean VM disk(s) for tasks, are you talking about a datastore (LUN) or each drive letter? We have servers that have one datastore, but have a C, D E, F, T and V drives in the OS. So would a task for a VM that has one datastore, be one task, (or as my example) five tasks?

Thank you.
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Scott,

Welcome to the community!
Every virtual disk counts as a task, so in your example it will be 6 tasks (C, D, E, F, T, V). Thanks!