Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Herz-Adm
Novice
Liked: never

When will Exchange Logs be truncated? Full or incremental backups?

Post by Herz-Adm »

Hi there,

I have a setup with Server 2012 R2 and Exchange 2016 CU11. During maintenance I discovered, that Exchange logs have not been truncated for seven months.
Veeam BR is Version 9.5.4.2615
VMware ESX is 6.5 U2 8294253

My question is that Veeam is only triggering a Exchange copy backup without truncating and if someone please how I can set it to trigger a backup that truncates the Exchange Logs?

The Backup Job runs without error or warnings. Application Aware is enabled and set to require success, Process Transaction logs is enabled, SQL Truncate Logs is enabled.
Every 30 Days a full backup runs.

However, during backup of Exchange the logs are not truncated and I find the log entry:
MSExchangeRepl 2047
The Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS Writer instance cf102520-514a-45c7-81bc-29b791b08f7a has successfully completed a backup of database 'MBX-DB01'. No log files were truncated for this database because the backup type was a copy backup or a differential backup.

VSS Microsoft Exchange Writer is OK.

On the other side, I could successfully issue a manual Exchange transaction truncation "backup" by the commands in shell:
Launch Diskshadow
Add volume d:
Begin Backup
Create
End Backup

That resulted in the Log:
MSExchangeRepl 2046
The Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS Writer instance 4413d861-5d97-44e6-964b-54f40a68a197 has successfully completed the backup of database 'MBX-DB01'.
Database log truncation has been requested for this database. Log truncation will occur on the active copy after the next log generation is created. Log truncation will occur automatically on the passive copies after that log file is copied.

Log files were truncated.

Looking forward to your replies.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: When will Exchange Logs be truncated? Full or incremental backups?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

If you have enabled Veeam Guest processing by default at any successful run we truncate the logs. Now the question is why this is not ahppening at your environmet.
Can you please create a support ticket an upload logs there. Please share then the ticket number here.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Moved your topic to correct subforum.
Herz-Adm
Novice

Post by Herz-Adm »

Hello Andreas, unfortunately this installation ran out of maintenance.

As I'm sure to have all required settings set, I created a new backup job for the Exchange server.
The first full backup of the new job was OK. Eventlog created: MSExchangeRepl 2046 Database log truncation has been requested for this database. Log truncation will occur on the active copy after the next log generation is created.
I then started the incremental backup of the new job and the same message was logged again.

I checked the Database directory and found the logs got truncated.

Gave the original backup job an other try. But it again resulted in the log: No log files were truncated for this database because the backup type was a copy backup or a differential backup.
So there is something misconfigured in the original job but I cannot see it.

Can I somehow compare the job settings of the old and the new one with some editor or so? e.g. export a backup job as xml file and review in notepad++?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

I think the most easiest way to compare the 2 is by open the console 2x and edit the 2 jobs in parallel.
Herz-Adm
Novice

Post by Herz-Adm »

Thanks for the tip opening the console two times.

I compared everything and did not find different configurations.

I'm going to trash the original job and rebuild it. No big but bad thing.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Thanks... maybe it make sense to bring the Installation under mainenance again, or depending on the size look into our community edition (up to 10 instances for free) to get at least some level of support again.