Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jrafter
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John R

Remote server backup idea

Post by jrafter »

Due to the nature and size of a remote server we have at a certain location I was looking for some ideas on using the Veeam agent we just purchased. Could I setup a backup repository(JBOD) at the local site for the first initial "Full" backup, bring that server here and manually move the VBK file into our Nimble storage device? I figured I could then change the backup job to point to the Nimble and the backup chain should stay in tact. Is this something that could be done or am I missing a step? We have about 3 of these servers by the way that are all similar size(3Tb, 10Mb MPLS).
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Remote server backup idea

Post by MichaelCade » 1 person likes this post

Does this involve a Veeam Backup & Replication server at the same location as the Nimble Storage device?

If Yes to VBR being in place then this link will walk you through the process - https://www.veeam.com/kb2321

I recall feature requests just for agent only implementations, but have no update on that.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
jrafter
Influencer

Post by jrafter »

Hi Michael,
Sorry I should have included that info. Yes we have VBR here at my location(CORP) which is where my Nimble device is located also.
I will review the KB you provided.
Thanks
jrafter
Influencer

Post by jrafter »

Just to clarify I intend on installing a repository at the remote site. Add this repository into VBR thru the console and then create the agent job pointing it to the repo in question.

When creating the an agent job for the remote server which "mode" would more sense "managed by backup server" or "managed by agent" or make it much of a difference for this type of a setup. I was thinking of going the server route which gives more functionality(corruption guard, compact full).
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

John,

For remote locations it's recommended to use managed by agent job type. Mind me asking if you considered using local repository (JBOD) as a primary target and Nimble storage as secondary repository (target for backup copy job)? Thank you!