Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Matt.Sharpe
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Matt Sharpe

Compression & Block Sizes

Post by Matt.Sharpe »

Hi Guys,

Random query. I was reading the repository planning section on the Veeam Best Practise site (https://bp.veeam.expert/) and came across the below.

By default block size is set to Local target, which is 1 MB before compression. Since compression ratio is very often around 2x, with this block size Veeam will write around 512 KB or less to the repository per each block.

It's provided the above stats for Optimal compression and local target. Are there any calculators out there for other compression levels? Extreme Compression provides more than 2x and I'm curious what the block size calculations are.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Compression & Block Sizes

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
even with extreme compression you will not have less than 256KB (which would be the next relevant value).

What are you trying to achieve? In most cases the cloud provider cannot influence the customer settings.

Best regards,
Hannes
Matt.Sharpe
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Matt Sharpe

Post by Matt.Sharpe »

Hi Hannes,

Irrelevant to VCC. Apologies I'm in the wrong forum I've just realised. Supposed to be Veeam B&R.

Thanks for the info.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

no worries - moved topic to the VBR forum.

Even for normal operations the only decision would be 256K or 512K according to the best practice guide. the question always is, how relevant is it with your hardware? And there are also meta-data updates which are smaller (4k)...