Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MichalM
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: MichalM

File Copy vs VM Copy

Post by MichalM »

Hi,

I'd like to move few VMs across two vCenter servers and I have a question. Is there any transfer performance difference between File Copy (NOT USING FILE COPY JOB but instead copying VM folders from datastore on one host in 1st vCenter to another host in 2nd vCenter via Files->Datastore browser) and VM Copy Job? I'm going to transfer 2TB of data between DCs so I'd like to make it as fast as possible.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: File Copy vs VM Copy

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

As far as I know file copy jobs using the same technology as datastore browse tasks, so this might not be the optimal way to migrating a VM. Please take a look at this topic for the recommendations on what job types to choose for your scenario.

Thank you!
MichalM
Novice

Post by MichalM »

Thank you Vitaliy,

I think I need to add that machines will be turned off, so copying it using any other than File Copy is pretty much not necessary. Is VM Copy the same thing as manually selecting a VM folder, selecting Copy and then Pasting it to destination datastore? I've already tested that solution and it worked, it copied 205GB in around 1h 25min. That's why I'm thinking about VM Copy but if there's no difference in used technology then I think I will just stick with manually copying files using datastore browser in Veeam.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

In contrast to File Copy VM Copy Job doesn't preserve VM snapshots. So, you'd better leverage File Copy Job, if any snapshot is present on a source VM. Thanks!
MichalM
Novice

Post by MichalM »

Thank you sir, I think I will stick with File Copy then.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

My 2 cents: why do you have snapshots on the production VM? Running VMs on snapshots is highly unrecommended due to possible issues with performance and snapshot commit tasks.