Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Veeam agent for Linux deployment question

Post by sandsturm »

Hi
Is there a way to install the veeam agent on our RHEL server with our current automated deployment mechansims (ansible) and add something like an option to this installation, that the agent is added to the right protection group on Veeam backup server? Background for this question is, that we'll have different protection groups, but I want to have an automatic agent deployment.

thx
sandsturm
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam agent for Linux deployment question

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
that should be possible. Since update 4 the agent management is fully powershell scriptable

Best regards,
Hannes
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

How are you currently leveraging ansible and pointing them to VBR? Are you leveraging 'veeamconfig' to perform this task? A scripted task on the VBR server which rescans and adds the server to the groups may be the only solution right now.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

So, basically you want to select an alternative way (Ansible) of deployment in the Protection Group settings, right? That is, you already have your own ansible playbook for Agent deployment and you want to have some sort of a "deploy agents using this playbook" button in a protection group settings?

Thanks!
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Hi
No, I don't need a button "deploy agents using this playbook". My idea is to have the Protection Group name (or ID or something) in my ansible playbook configured, that as soon as the agent is deployed and connects to VBR, it will be automatically member of the correct Protection group within VBR.

thx
sandsturm
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Currently there is no way to do that, so I consider this to be a feature request.

Meanwhile, I'd like to ask a question:

Is anything important for you missing from VBR agents deployment schema that you prefer Ansible for agent deployment, or you are just willing to use a more familiar tool that has been in your environment for years?

Thanks!
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Hi

No, it's nothing specical missing. The idea is to deploy all different software components in the same way.

thx
sandsturm
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

hat as soon as the agent is deployed and connects to VBR
with VBR it's the other way round. You deploy the agent and VBR connects (adds this pre-deployed agent to a protection group). I mean you could do it your way, but then the agent is in the "unmanaged" protection group. That means you could not schedule from VBR side.
it will be automatically member of the correct Protection group within VBR
not automatically, but you could add to your deployment scripts that this should be done on the VBR side.

hope that helps :-)
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Sounds like a good option :-)