Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
andyman3000
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andy Perkins

SQL Server & MySQL on Linux Backups with Veeam

Post by andyman3000 »

Hello,

Does anyone have any documentation on how to back up SQL and MySQL running on Linux?

My company's DBA team is working on testing SQL Server on Linux, as well we have acquired some Linux based applications that run MySQL. I am trying to move them away from some of their legacy tools and keep them from buying other products/plugins for other toolsets and move them towards Veeam (it has been a struggle).

For Veeam Agent for linux it appears any sort of app processing is handled with pre/post scripts which this seems to be a good article for the MySQL portion: https://www.veeam.com/wp-consistent-pro ... riadb.html

But do we have any specific guides for consistent OS + DB backups for Linux Agents running SQL?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/li ... erver-2017
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: SQL Server & MySQL on Linux Backups with Veeam

Post by PTide »

Hi,

No, we do not have such guides yet. My first thought was to suggest experimenting with DB snapshots combined with reverting, but MS explicitly mentions that "Reverting does not work in an offline or corrupted database. Therefore, taking regular backups and testing your restore plan are necessary to protect a database.".

Thanks
nour
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by nour »

andyman3000 wrote: Feb 07, 2019 6:56 pm Hello,

Does anyone have any documentation on how to back up SQL and MySQL running on Linux?

My company's DBA team is working on testing SQL Server on Linux, as well we have acquired some Linux based applications that run MySQL. I am trying to move them away from some of their legacy tools and keep them from buying other products/plugins for other toolsets and move them towards Veeam (it has been a struggle).
Hi,

For MySQL, I, personally, use the dump tool and save the db files with the other files (so no separate configuration).
The dump tool is invoked with a simple code I developped so I rename the files each time.
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

I'll second that, why not use dump?