Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jany.desbiens
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Janis

Migration from TSM to Veeam

Post by jany.desbiens » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
Is it possible to import backup from a TSM environment to a new Veeam environment ? To allow us restoring data from previous years ?
Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Migration from TSM to Veeam

Post by Gostev »

Hello, typically our customers keep their legacy solution with minimal amount of licenses required just to enable restores. Thanks!
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Unfortunately no direct import is available from other backups. It's like what do you do with your VHS and beta tapes now that you use NetFlix and YouTube :)

I recommend restoring the planned retention and backing that up with Veeam or holding the old backups in a "rest" mode - meaning no new backups taken, only restores.
engedib
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

Post by engedib » 1 person likes this post

jany.desbiens wrote: Feb 07, 2019 7:44 pm Hi,
Is it possible to import backup from a TSM environment to a new Veeam environment ? To allow us restoring data from previous years ?
Thanks,
How I did it recently for a couple of smaller sites where RepliBit was used.

1, Installed the Veeam Agent to the backup server
2, Mounted the backed up VM as an iSCSI target, connected the backup server to the iSCSI volumes
3, Used the agent to backup the volumes, set the compression method to dedupe friendly
4, The backup target was an external USB drive with NTFS deduplication enabled, with a lot of backups and restore points I was able to achieve 1:10 - 1:15 dedupe ratio
5, Imported the agent backups to the Veeam server.

This can be quite a bit of work if you want to retain a lot of restore points for a lot of VMs.