Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Aaron Wells
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Aaron Wells

B&R Update 4 Database optimisation take a LONG time

Post by Aaron Wells »

Hi Guys, I upgraded our B&R for vSphere to update 4 yesterday and in the release notes it says.....

"Please note that immediately after upgrade, Enterprise Manager performance may be impacted due to configuration database being optimised by the maintenance job. This can take up to an hour depending on the database size."

..... but after 3.5hours my Catalog service on the B&R server was still in a starting state and I was starting to get very nervous.
We have roughly 500 VMs protected with this VBR server and the catalog DB lives on a well spec'd and dedicated SQL always on group.

I was able to get into the GUI thankfully and also tail the Svc.VeeamCatalog log file with power shell where I could monitor the progress.
Also the "C:\VBRCatalog\Publications\Upload" folder had roughly 300,000 items in it and as the process was running this figure was slowly reducing.

Given there is no way of knowing this process is running other than watching the logs, I thought I might share this experience in case someone else sees it and I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this process taking that long to run?

Cheers
Aaron
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: B&R Update 4 Database optimisation take a LONG time

Post by Mike Resseler »

Aaron,
I haven't seen many reports at this point in time about the upgrade being so slow but maybe nobody reports it :-)

Are you still seeing progress? And can you see what the resources on your server are doing, whether there is a bottleneck somewhere?
Aaron Wells
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Aaron Wells

Post by Aaron Wells »

Hi Mike,
The update did apply in the end and the whole environment is now working as expected. The DB optimisation process took close to 4 hours in total which is a lot more than what I was expecting based on the release notes.
Cheers
Aaron
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 »

I did not see this; I have a similar number of VMs protected, and our upgrade went pretty quickly.
Veeaming since 2013
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

As Chuck said, we haven't heard about this. I'm glad that the update finally worked but it seems like a long time and I wonder what the bottleneck was. Maybe a bit late now to figure out though...
Is that SQL DB running now as expected or using a lot of resources?