Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
christiankelly
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Christian Kelly

Exchange explorer suggestions for large discovery/restores

Post by christiankelly »

I just had to do a significant search-based discovery/restore for a large Exchange environment (5+ TB of exchange mail) on every restore point available. And I found some issues which I think could be improved to make the product better.

- It would be great you could export to PST without “searching.” In this case, we needed to run a search which would take 32 hours and come back with 400,000+ items, after that we needed to select them all and export. I don’t see why that step is necessary. We saw the explorer taking up large amounts of memory (10GB+) to keep that huge list visible and if you already know the search query why not go directly to PST?

- IT would be nice to be able to set the PST size for export. By default, Veeam makes a 50GB PST and then creates another. I know the 50GB limit was an older maximum limitation for Outlook, but in our case, the client had a system which we could upload 25GB files, so we needed to split them up. It would be great if you could set that somewhere.

- The search function needs more testing as there are bugs. For example, we couldn’t use “from address | contains | @domain.com” it took a more complex query looking in internet headers to get the same result which slowed down the searches.

The good news is we were able to perform the recovery, but it took many more hours then it could have.
Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Exchange explorer suggestions for large discovery/restores

Post by Gostev »

Very good feedback, thanks Christian.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Christian - so I looked at this closer, and no wonder I felt these were good requests :D it looks like all of that is already possible today:

- You can export results of the query already, there's an option right on the Export dialog, under the path to PST. The option is called "Save only items containing keywords". You can specify any filter there. I think we will just make it visible by default, so that it is not hidden behind Show settings.

- Looks like this is already tunable today through the VEX configuration file. I asked to move this as an option to the same dialog.

- The correct syntax is "from:@domain.com" (just like in Outlook)

Finally, for the future you can really speed up search a lot by clearing "Show PST size estimation in status bar" check box in the Options dialog.
CNelson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Nelson

Post by CNelson »

sorry to bring this one back up, but it's mentioned that:
" Looks like this is already tunable today through the VEX configuration file. I asked to move this as an option to the same dialog"

Would you be able to clarify which configuration file is being referred to, and how to go about tuning the size?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks