Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ccone@vascorltd.com
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Clint Cone

Updae 4 changed jobs going to multiple tape drives

Post by ccone@vascorltd.com »

Our configuration has a media pool with two identical libraries (HP Autoloader 8-tape changers).

We have two tape jobs that must run every night. We need the jobs to run simultaneously for them to complete before they are picked up to be taken to off-site storage.

Tape Job 1 consists of 8 VM backup jobs (backing up about 100 VMs total). Total data is about 6.5 TB.
Tape Job 2 is a file backup of a directory on the VEEAM server. Total data is about 5 TB.
The tapes are LTO-7, so Tape job 1 takes two tapes, Tape Job 2 takes one.

Prior to the upgrade to Update 4, this worked exactly as we need it to:
- Job 1 kicked off at midnight. It did not take both drives. It processed all it could to one tape drive/autoloader, then changed tapes in that autoloader and completed.
- Job 2 kicked off once a batch job finished populating the backup directory (around 2:30 AM). It ran on the other drive/autoloader.
- Job 1 finished around 7 AM, both tapes handled by the first Autoloader.
- Job 2 finished around 7:30 AM.

After applying update 4, I cannot get this same process to occur. If I enable parallel processing of jobs to the pool, Tape Job 1 takes both drives when it starts. Then Tape job 2 has to wait until one of the tape drives becomes free. That delay causes that job to not complete before the tapes need to be picked up. If I disable that setting, Tape Job 2 waits until Tape job 1 completes and the second library is never used.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Clint
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Updae 4 changed jobs going to multiple tape drives

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Clint,

Thank you for your post. This behavior has already been noted as bug and we are working on a fix. Meanwhile, please open the support case to double check your Veeam B&R debug logs. Cheers!
ccone@vascorltd.com
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Clint Cone

Post by ccone@vascorltd.com »

Thanks! I'll open the ticket today.

Is there anywhere I can see that bug documented, and hopefully be notified of its resolution?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Clint,

Unfortunately, our bug tracking system is internal but don't worry you wont miss the fix (we notify customers via support team or via customer portal once we have a cumulative patch ready).