Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
CTCarp
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

trying to install backup agent on win2000 server error

Post by CTCarp »

We are currently running B&R 9.5.4.2615 (Update 4). I am getting errors installing the backup agent from the Vm Host and on the Veeam Console. : Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to Server### Error: %1 is not a valid Win32 application. Failed to start service 'VeeamDeploySvc'. Host: 'server###.domainname.org'. Failed to start deployment service on the target host.
I believe because the server is windows 2000 that this is the issue. It has software on it and need to have backups of this server for restore. I've looked on another windows 2000 client but I am unable to find its veeamdeploysvc dll and exe but was unsuccessful. I deleted the service and dl'd files from the Veeam Host to the backup directory of veeam on the host and receive the same error.
Is there a download of veeamdeploysvc exe and dll for 2000 server? or something else I need to do?

Thank you
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: trying to install backup agent on win2000 server error

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi CTCarp- Windows 2000 is not supported for installation up, including for components. Maybe see the User Guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4
CTCarp
Enthusiast

Post by CTCarp »

Thats what I thought. Is this new in 9.5 upgrade 4? I used to be able to back it up without issue prior. I still have one client on windows 2000 pro sp4 that is backing up. I had to bring the Vm in question back from restore.
Is there anyway I can get it back? I can do a manual backup fine. Which is weird in my opinion.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

I think this is a dangerous path, CTCarp.

Windows 2000 has been end of life since July 13, 2010 I believe. leveraging this for backup infrastructure components puts your backup infrastructure at risk for ransomware. I can't advise going there in any situation.

As for backing up an old Windows 2000 pro SP4 system - if that is a VM, that should be able to be backed up without application aware image processing (crash-consistent). But if it isn't a supported guest OS on the hypervisor in question - then that's a dangerous path also.
CTCarp
Enthusiast

Post by CTCarp »

I realize that the 2000 machine is WAY OVER due to be exiled. its not really used all but one function. I have one another that prints only and that is working fine. Manual backup works well on both, so I'll run them each with their own backup and go from there.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Also note this isn't new with Update 4. The Veeam Agent for Windows has always required Windows 2008 R2 or later. As pointed out a VM should be fine as the OS is irrelevant. I like to joke that if you have OS/2 VMs, Veeam can back them up. They would be crash-consistent of course. To Rick's point about AAIP, VSS was introduced in Server 2003 SP1 so that's the minimum requirement for Application-aware Image Processing of Windows VMs.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Joe
CTCarp
Enthusiast

Post by CTCarp »

Thanks all. I should have mentioned that the vm is on VMware not HyperV
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

That doesn't matter. :-) The guest VM must be Windows Server 2003 SP1 or later in order to perform AAIP.

Joe