Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
stewsie
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Paul

Update 4 licence question. Confused

Post by stewsie »

Probably just me but I am totally confused how we need to licence Backup & Replication and also Veeam One to use Update 4

Currently have a number of perpetual licences and from the release notes it looks like only Instance licences are supported and we are eligible for up to 6 instance licences per socket. We need more than 500 instance licences presuming an instance is a VM and after putting this into the online calculator the cost has almost tripled. This is not cost effective at all if this is the case

Could someone please explain in simplistic terms?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Update 4 licence question. Confused

Post by DGrinev »

Don't worry, your perpetual license will work, you can protect your hosts as it was before the new VIL (Veeam Instance Licensing).
Socket based licenses keep working with Update 4.
Only those who had old instance based licenses have to merge it into the new one. Thanks!
stewsie
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Paul

Post by stewsie »

Thanks for the reply. The support call I have opened seemed to provide conflicting information although I think as I was confused I may have misunderstood.

Cheers
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Just wanted to mention that the What's New document does cover socket-based licensing changes (or lack of) as well... just in case you ever need something official to refer someone to. Thanks!
sasilik
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Markko Meriniit

Post by sasilik »

Just for clarification, when I count VM's and servers to get number of instances then ESXi hosts do not count? I only count how many VM's I have and how many VEEAM agents I have on physical servers?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Markko,

That's correct, you should count only the amount of VMs and Agents that you're going to protect.
Please check the instance calculator here, it will help you to calculate your instance license needs.
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 »

I'm a bit confused as well; we've got perpetual socket licenses and subscription Agent licenses (now instances). Needed to merge the two to make a new license, and now the expiration dates are all funky (the perp license was just renewed, but now shows as expiring in June...). Working with support, but am feeling that this is all more complex than it needs to be.
Veeaming since 2013
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Merged license gets its expiration from the maintenance contract that expires sooner, does not this make sense? If you co-term your contracts to end at the same date, then this becomes a non-issue - because all contracts will expire on the same date.

Or for example, if you chose not to renew one of those contracts, they you can always undo merge and get a single-contract license that expires according to the given contract (for example, sockets-only license).

If you have some specific suggestions how to make it simpler, please let us know!

Of course, the ultimate simplicity comes from converting legacy socket licenses to instances - in which case you will have a single contract, with a single license file, which has a single Instances counter. And this license file covers all workloads regardless what Veeam product you use to protect ones. It does not get simpler than that :D
roruplar
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lars Rørup

Post by roruplar »

I have problems to convert my perpetual licenses. I presume you have to merge all into one ???. The converter says I have to use the old merge function
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Lars,

Can you please clarify what you're trying to achieve? Are you trying to convert your perpetual license keys to instance-based subscription keys or you're trying to merge a perpetual socket-based license key with an instance-based key?

Thanks!