Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
akraker
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andrew Kraker

Normal Backup times? / waiting on backup infrastructure

Post by akraker »

We are new to Veeam and just setup a new environment. I am wondering if incremental backups of about 34 minutes are normal for the setup below.
- Hyper-V cluster with 14 VM's being backed up + Guest processing
- Backup is done Off-Host with Hardware VSS snapshots. I have tested with On-Host and Microsoft CSV snapshots as well with similar backup times
- Parallel processing is turned on with the proxy showing 20 concurrent tasks (20 processors) and the repository set to 7 concurrent. Repository is a Synology NAS
Bottleneck is usually shown as being the source. 2/11/2019 10:31:41 AM :: Load: Source 99% > Proxy 1% > Network 0% > Target 0% . Processing rate is usually around 85 MB/s with around 9GB transferred per incremental job.

When watching the backup it seems like it hangs on "waiting on backup infrastructure" for way too long. Normally it is about 12 minutes before that is done and VM's start to process. Is there something holding that process up? The Hardware VSS snapshots with Dell EqualLogic are working just fine; it just seems to take a while for the snapshot to be created. When using CSV snapshots it is held up at that same status. Maybe that is normal? What is actually being done at that point? It does seem to be a linear increase in time when adding additional VM's to be backed up.
akraker
Enthusiast

Re: Normal Backup times? / waiting on backup infrastructure

Post by akraker »

So I just turned off application aware processing on this just and it cut the backup time down to about 16 minutes. Apparently something is hanging up with the guest interaction when that is turned on?
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi Andrew - welcome to the Veeam Forums Community.

With all 14 VMs on he same volume, it doesn't seem to have anything sticking out as an issue. I assume the job does indeed complete green/successfully?

One thing that may be going on is that the RCT (Assuming WS2016+) is checking all 14 VMs from backup their change tracking before the actual data processing goes (comparing that with the CSV snap or Hardware VSS). Logic is it can't do what it needs to do until it knows what it needs to do. I'm thinking this step you are asking about is somewhere between steps 6 and 9 listed here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Maybe a simple equivalent test is a job with 1 VM, the incrementals of that?
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Then that was step 7....
akraker
Enthusiast

Post by akraker »

So I am assuming that guest processing shouldn't actually take that long right? I had set the option in guest processing to ignore failures originally. When I set it to require successful processing it fails on some machines with the errors below.

2/11/2019 3:07:24 PM :: Failed to inject guest runtime using guest interaction proxy, failing over to backup server
2/11/2019 3:08:33 PM :: Failed to create snapshot Dell EqualLogic VSS HW Provider on etec-hyperv02 (mode: Veeam application-aware processing) Details: Unable to perform application-aware processing because connection to the guest could not be established
2/11/2019 3:08:40 PM :: Error: Failed to prepare guests for volume snapshot.

When I actually test the settings of the guest interaction proxy it shows all VM's working just fine. The guest OS credentials I am using are domain admin.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software

Post by Rick.Vanover »

In this case - then I'd open a support case with Veeam to diagnose why the VSS calls are not going as expected. May be a permissions on host topic or in guest, but you mention domain admin used. Probably best to have the logs examined to find the spot where the credentials are not working (in spite of test).
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Andrew,
Rick is correct, please open a support case. That will be the easiest and faster way to solve it. But!, since I am seeing that you cannot get our guest runtime injected into the VMs it could mean that:
* Your guest interaction proxy doesn't have network connectivity to those VMs
* You have the wrong credentials and can't "login" to the VM so that the work can be performed
The other error for the snapshot: Did you install the HW provider on all servers (all cluster members or standalone Hyper-V hosts) and on the backup server?