Crashinit
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Craig Connoll

Add TAGS to Objects to exclude

Post by Crashinit »

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help.
I've tried searching the forums and using code out there, but i'm just not getting anywhere.

I have Backup Copy Jobs that I need to add Exclusions too.
These Exclusions must be a combination of TAGS and DataCenters.
It is easy to do this via the GUI, but when I have loads of Jobs and multiple backup servers to manage, it gets a bit long in the tooth.
I have been able to get the Backup Copy Jobs configured with powershell and this is the only setting i'm struggling with.

Any help will be much appreciated.
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 112 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Re: Add TAGS to Objects to exclude

Post by jhoughes »

Took me a few minutes to run through the overload definitions to create this, but here it is with an example from my lab.

First, create the variables for the empty properties and the 'Exclude' type required by the Update method of the [Veeam.Backup.Core.CObjectInJob] object:

Code: Select all

$vss = [Veeam.Backup.Model.CGuestProcessingOptions]::CreateDefaultForObject($false)
$diskfilter = [Veeam.Backup.Model.CDiskFilterInfo]::CreateEmpty
$exclusion = [Veeam.Backup.Model.CDbObjectInJobInfo+EType]::Exclude

Here's my job before adding the 'VeeamReplication' tag object:

$job | Get-VBRJobObject

Name                      Type       ApproxSize       Location
----                      ----       ----------       --------
VeeamTagTest              Include    142.4 GB         ausvcenter.lab.fullstackgeek.net\VeeamBackup (Tags for Backup Jobs)\VeeamTagTest (Job Tag for Veeam Backups)

Next, I run the code to add the new 'VeeamReplication' tag and look at the job objects, to verify it is the default 'Include' type.

$job = Get-VBRJob -Name 'AUSVCENTER-TagTest'
$tag = Find-VBRViEntity -Name 'VeeamReplication' -Server (Get-VBRServer -Name ausvcenter.lab.fullstackgeek.net) -Tags
Add-VBRViJobObject -Job $job -Entities $tag

$job | Get-VBRJobObject

VeeamTagTest              Include    142.4 GB         ausvcenter.lab.fullstackgeek.net\VeeamBackup (Tags for Backup Jobs)\VeeamTagTest (Job Tag for Veeam Backups)
VeeamReplication          Include    0.0 B            ausvcenter.lab.fullstackgeek.net\VeeamReplication (Tags for Replication Jobs)

Lastly, I capture the object to be set to an 'Exclude' type, run the Update method of the job object, and here is the final result of the job objects:

$exclude = $job | Get-VBRJobObject -Name 'VeeamReplication'
$exclude.Update($vss,$diskfilter,$true,$exclusion)

$job | Get-VBRJobObject

VeeamReplication          Exclude    0.0 B            ausvcenter.lab.fullstackgeek.net\VeeamReplication (Tags for Replication Jobs)
This should help you to set your exclusions. You'll need to run this once per job object (for each object in the job to be excluded) to flip it to an 'exclude' type.

You may want to create a collection of your servers, jobs and tags to be excluded, then you'd only have to loop through it once to run the Update method per object in your collection.
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion
Crashinit
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Craig Connoll

Post by Crashinit »

Hi jhoughes,

Thanks for the Update.

I have tested the code, but i'm getting the following error:

When creating the variable $diskfilter I get the below Error.

Unable to find type [Veeam.Backup.Model.CDiskFilterInfo].
At line:7 char:15
+ $diskfilter = [Veeam.Backup.Model.CDiskFilterInfo]::CreateEmpty
+               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (Veeam.Backup.Model.CDiskFilterInfo:TypeName) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : TypeNotFound
The the last error is:

Unable to find type [Veeam.Backup.Model.CDiskFilterInfo].
At line:7 char:15
+ $diskfilter = [Veeam.Backup.Model.CDiskFilterInfo]::CreateEmpty
+               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (Veeam.Backup.Model.CDiskFilterInfo:TypeName) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : TypeNotFound

Exception calling "Update" with "4" argument(s): "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
At line:15 char:1
+ $exclude.Update($vss,$diskfilter,$true,$exclusion)
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NullReferenceException
The end result is that the TAGS are added to the "Objects to Process" but not flipped to the exclusions Objects
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 112 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Post by jhoughes » 1 person likes this post

I should have specified that I'm running U4, although the type name should exist for you.

Either way, I realized this morning that I forgot the easy way to so this. The Remove-VBRJobObject cmdlet will actually set an exclusion if you don't use the -Completely switch parameter.

Just run the code for Add-VBRViJobObject, then get that same object and pipe it to Remove-VBRJobObject. It should set the object as an exclusion.

Apologies if there a typo, typed from cell phone.
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

Either way, I realized this morning that I forgot the easy way to so this. The Remove-VBRJobObject cmdlet will actually set an exclusion if you don't use the -Completely switch parameter.

Just run the code for Add-VBRViJobObject, then get that same object and pipe it to Remove-VBRJobObject. It should set the object as an exclusion.
Yep, I sometimes joke that this is perhaps the worst named cmdlet in Powershell history, a "remove" cmdlet that, by default, doesn't actually perform a remove of anything, and then requires some fairly strangely named flag to actually remove the object. But it's difficult to fix due to the fact that it's been around a long time and lots of code now depends on the existing behavior.