Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
robcawood
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rob Cawood

Veeam 9.5 Update 4 - can't use same repository for VCC and VBR

Post by robcawood »

Hi

We have upgraded to Update 4 and are getting the following message...

Error: Using regular backup or replication functionality is restricted for Cloud Connect infrastructure servers to avoid impact on your tenants.

We have a VCC environment for remote customers to use and a VBR server internally to backup hosted customers, they both use the same Repository server (different repositories but same server). Now we are getting the above error, which basically is saying that a VCC server and a VBR server can't backup to a repository on the same host.

I can understand why Veeam would do this, however in our scenario the VCC server is protecting different customers to the VBR server.

We have logged a ticket but I thought I would post this as a warning to others who might be in the same position.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Veeam 9.5 Update 4 - can't use same repository for VCC and VBR

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Rob,

Could you post the tickedID also? So we can follow internally. And after research of our engineers, please post the outcome here also for the community
Thanks
Mike
robcawood
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rob Cawood

Post by robcawood »

Hi Mike

It turns out the error wording was misleading... it turns out it was a licensing issue and we had to use a Partner Preview license and not our normal production license.

It is a bit unusual as you would not think that the license would need to change when installing an update.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Rob for coming back to us. It would still be good if you could sent us the case ID so R&D can look at it (and maybe in the future change the wording or so...)

Thanks
Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

robcawood wrote: Jan 08, 2019 6:11 pmIt is a bit unusual as you would not think that the license would need to change when installing an update.
New licensing is actually a major new feature of this update. Took lots of work, but it will really simplify license management for our users due to the new license being portable (non platform dependent). More info on this will be available soon!
tom.weiner
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Tom

Post by tom.weiner »

I have a similar issue. I have a Cloud Connect instance with two repositories. One repository is receiving backups for all cloud connect customers. The other repository receives back ups for a customer using Windows Agent and is sending backups to this same environment through a private network setup. Up until the u4 update I had the Cloud Connect server licensed under out Cloud Connect licensing and the Windows Agents were licensed using our Agent license. After upgrading the Windows Agents are not able to backup to the Cloud Connect environment and store their backups in the dedicated repository. I'm not able to update the license on the Agents because the license is managed from the Cloud Connect instance. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to managed the licenses from the B&R console on the server and using Backup Enterprise Manager only allows me up to update the server side license which means wiping out the Cloud Connect environment if I install an Agent instance license. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Tom,

Unfortunately I don't have any idea how to solve this... Could you please create a support call for further investigation?
tom.weiner
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Tom

Post by tom.weiner »

I have a case opened. It is case #03411455
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It's been always prohibited to use Cloud Connect server for regular jobs, not to affect your tenant workloads. Previously, it was enforced via issuing a license key that did not contain any sockets. In Update 4, we've just made this restriction explicit in UI.

So, if you want to receive agent backups and backup copy them to cloud repository, consider using two different backup servers.

Thanks!
eghamtech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Egham Tech

Post by eghamtech »

I have the same issue after the upgrade, how do I remove Cloud Connect and leave normal Backup Jobs running?
I removed all tenants and gateway but still have the same issue with normal backup jobs.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What license is installed on a backup server? Check whether the currently installed license has Cloud Connect field equal to Yes.

If so, then, you cannot run local jobs using this license.

Thanks!
PeterC
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Peter Camps

Post by PeterC »

We had the same issue with a CloudConnect server that also hosted one normal backupjob for almost more than a year (using different repositories). After upgrading to update 4 we were unable to use the normal backupjob anymore.

In the end we got the following answer, why this worked before and not anymore after update 4;

It turned out that local backups from VAW to your VCC should not be working on previous update (3, 3a) too.
But due to the flaw in licensing mechanic VCC allowed you to store those backups.

Regards,
Veeam Cloud & Service Providers Support

Fortunately we were able to change the normal job to a CloudConnect supported job. It was either this or obtaining an Veeam Cloud Connect for Enterprise license.
(we had a Veeam Cloud Connect for Service Providers (Enterprise Plus) license, but obviously this was not the correct one)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Additional option might have been switching to two backup servers: one for agent backups, another for CC ones.

I'm glad to hear, though, that you were able to work around this situation.
kisst
Lurker
Full Name: Tibor Kiss

Post by kisst »

Hello Folks,

same issue in our environment, any update or patch?

Thx,
Tibi
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, Tibi. What issue are you talking about? Note that it is by design that you cannot use VCC infractructure to run "local" backup jobs.
kisst
Lurker
Full Name: Tibor Kiss

Post by kisst »

Hi Gostev, thank you for your feedback.
bkuehn
Lurker
Full Name: Bill Kuehn

Post by bkuehn »

Why did update 4 force the requirements for a standalone VCC server? Is the only solution to standup a separate backup server for the backup jobs previously performed on the VCC server?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Actually, this change happened many years ago, just enforced by cutting the license keys that did not include ability to run local jobs whenever they had VCC enabled. Perhaps you've got some special non-compliant key, for some reason. But yes, you must use a separate server for local backup jobs, as to not impact VCC infrastructure availability for tenants. Thanks!