Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Licensing question with Agent

Post by dhayes16 »

Hello All...Sorry for the noob question. So we are migrating from another backup provider to Veeam. All sites have Windows 2012 R2 BDR devices. Most of our sites are hyper-V. However we have a few sites running physical servers and will need to deploy the agent. So basically we installed B&R on the Windows 2012 R2 BDR. And then we added the physical server to a protection group and all is well.

However, I am confused on the licensing here. We are a VCSP and have portal access and are renting licenses. Also, we are vetting out Veeam Cloud Connect providers at the moment and would like to take advantage of the items offered by the enterprise plus license.

So how would licensing work in this situation? I assume for the B&R license I would just get the usual enterprise license. However, would I also need a separate "agent" license for the physical server on top of the B&R license?

I understand that I will likely need a veeam cloud connect license with the VCC provider if they are providing unlicensed storage.

Thanks for any feedback.
Dave
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Licensing question with Agent

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dave and welcome to the community!

With the new VIL (Veeam Instance Licensing) you don't need a separate license for agents, you can cover all the workloads with the one new type license. Thanks!
dhayes16
Service Provider

Post by dhayes16 »

Great news...Thanks very much! That makes our lives easier.

Dave
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Do not forget that the new license type applies only to the most recent version of the product which is 9.5 Update 4. Thanks!
dhayes16
Service Provider

Post by dhayes16 »

OK...Thanks for the info. Fortunately we are a new VCSP and are deploying U4 out of the gate. All is well..We just need to lock down a Veeam connect partner and all will be well.

Oh..and then move 10TB of data to the cloud