Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Open VBR console GUI without entering ID & password

Post by zadrian »

Hi, is there a way to create a shortcut such that the IP and password is in the target so that it will not prompt for user ID and password ?

Main reason is that I have created another set of account that is basically read-only (backup operator) and I do not want people to "lock out" the main admin if they typed wrong passwords too many times.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Open VBR console GUI without entering ID & password

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Zadrian,

I believe there is
Please have a look here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4. There is a part that talks about saving it as a shortcut and that credentials and such will be cached.

Hope it helps
Mike
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

Thanks...

But can it just show the VBR 9.5 Update 4 splash screen without showing the user ID screen ?

Anyway thats just a good to have...I think I will try out with this (I already have it for the "users")
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Unfortunately that is not possible. It will always show the splash screen.
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

Hi Mike,

I do not mind the splash screen, but can also hide the screen with the user ID and pw (greyed out) like shown in the link you provided.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

I'm not sure I follow now to be honest (I probably need more coffee :-))

When you create that shortcut, you will be able to see the IP or DNS name of that server (and port) and the username and a hidden password. But hiding the data in those two fields I don't believe is possible. Unless you use windows authentication but the logged-in user will probably be not the same?
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

The idea is that we have several clerks, IT admins or even interns. And their job is mainly either to monitor (for job failures) and/or to re-run jobs (for IT admins) while administrators can create or delete or modify jobs.

So while they have their own windows login, they would have "pre-created" shortcuts on their desktop for VBR and we may want to hide the login details (we can prevent them from seeing the properties of the shortcuts).

Some of our interns are "very smart" and they sometimes "reverse engineer" systems in their OJT (On the job training) periods.

So VBR shortcuts will show the VBR login details for like 10s then the VBP splash screen for 10s the start VBR GUI....all I asking if can hide the VBR login details.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Understood. I did some tests to see but I'm afraid I don't see a possibility at this moment to do this.
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

Tangentially related - can you save a shortcut or have a way to skip the logon credentials page if you always use windows session authentication? (We have smart cards for admin tasks, so we don't even know the password to our administrative accounts here anymore, so I always have to use session auth). It would be nice to have a shortcut that automatically would be able to just use windows auth since I have to elevate to run the console anyways.

When use windows session auth checkbox is checked, the save shortcut button is still enabled but clicking it does nothing, which seems misleading. Or maybe I don't know where the shortcut is saved.

Edit: after testing it seems to auto save to the desktop. Since it was an elevated account it was not my standard user accounts' desktop. It did not skip the logon UI but it automatically started the login process which is acceptable for me. It would be nice to have a dialog box that shows up that tells me something happened though, as there was no application feedback at all when I clicked the button.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Do you mean it took too long for the logon UI to appear? How long, approximately?