Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
controlfreak
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Control

Comment about the new license model

Post by controlfreak »

I'll just add on that changing the licensing model mid-term sucks. Veeam changed and limited the functionality of software licenses we have already paid for under previous terms. Existing customers should be supported at the same level of functionality for the remainder of the term.

For reference, my perpetual socket licenses would continue to work until 2029 (ten year term) on U3 of the software. Since I have to combine my licneses in U4 of the software, the perpetual license will expire in 2019 when the agent licenses expire. Under U3 of the software, both licenses could be installed and each would apply it's respective terms to the software.

-Control
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Comment about the new license model

Post by Gostev »

Hello, I've split your post into the new topic not to derail the conversation on the specific issue OP has raised.
controlfreak wrote: Jan 31, 2019 7:50 pmVeeam changed and limited the functionality of software licenses we have already paid for under previous terms.
This should NEVER be the case. If you spot any situation that is different from "existing customers should be supported at the same level of functionality for the remainder of the term", flag it and we will review and correct the specific case. We tried to cover all the bases, but obviously there's as many scenarios we can think through with this conversion.
controlfreak wrote: Jan 31, 2019 7:50 pmFor reference, my perpetual socket licenses would continue to work until 2029 (ten year term) on U3 of the software. Since I have to combine my licenses in U4 of the software, the perpetual license will expire in 2019 when the agent licenses expire. Under U3 of the software, both licenses could be installed and each would apply it's respective terms to the software.
Actually, the perpetual license file you already have will continue to work until 2029 regardless of anything else - so nothing changes for you. Both under U3 and under U4, your subscription-based functionality will stop working when your subscription contract expires, but you will certainly be able to continue using your socket-only license until 2029.

Or am I missing something, and you're talking about something else?

Thanks!
controlfreak
Enthusiast

Post by controlfreak »

"Actually, the perpetual license file you already have will continue to work until 2029 regardless of anything else - so nothing changes for you. Both under U3 and under U4, your subscription-based functionality will stop working when your subscription contract expires, but you will certainly be able to continue using your socket-only license until 2029."

This is not how it works anymore. I have to merge the licenses now, and they take the earliest expiration. If you'd like to do a remote session, I can show you that this functionality has changed under U4.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Ah, then you probably just don't realize that you can always undo merge.

For example, in your specific case:
1. Your agents contract expires some time in 2019 (thus, merged license also expires, because).
2. For example, you choose not to renew agents.
3. You undo license merge on the customer portal.
4. You get your socket-only license back that is good until 2029.

Does it make sense?
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Marco Sorrentino

Post by mamosorre84 »

It happened also to me:

- Veeam Essential with perpetual license
- Bought server licenses for VAW3.0
- Upgraded Veeam to U4
- Merged hypervisor license with VAW license
- The expiration date took the earliest expiring date (VAW)

If I undo the merge I can't use the VAW licenses..isn't it?
doktornotor
Enthusiast
Liked: 29 times

Post by doktornotor » 1 person likes this post

The point it to undo the merge after the agent licenses have expired. Does not seem exactly like rocket science, but YMMV.
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Marco Sorrentino

Post by mamosorre84 »

I agree with you, but it's still more complicated than before, not all end users will easily succeed..
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

The issue we had before is customer not realizing they are out of support on their socket license, because their agent license was still under support... so, they could not get support when they needed one. The new approach ensures support expiration clarity.

To make it less complicated, I highly recommend to simply co-term your licenses, so that support for both ends on the same day.

To make it even less complicated, consider converting your sockets to instances, so that you don't have to manage 2 contracts.
controlfreak
Enthusiast

Post by controlfreak » 2 people like this post

Recommending that we co-term licenses does nothing to help customers who are on their initial purchase cycle, and chose to purchase additional Veeam products (agents and Veeam One) based on the ease of use of Veeam backup and replication. I most definitely want to co-term licenses going forward, but you guys made this change mid-contract for us.

The bottom line is this change negatively impacts operations of the software compared to U3. We'll make it work and will likely co-term in the future, but it still could have been cleaner and more customer friendly.

Thanks,

Control
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz » 2 people like this post

I would like to also chime in that Veeam runs promotions on some software. For example I have agents and sockets, and I could renew my socket maintenance early for a discount, but my agents were not covered. So coterming would not be possible (and this thread is exactly describing something I am not liking about U4). I do not think expecting every single business to coterm is a reasonable solution. I know I will need veeam for years. I do not know if I will need workstation licenses for years. I did not think there was anything wrong with the U3 UI that showed when different licenses expired, which is still how it works even with merged licenses for U4.