Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ned
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Ned Thomas

B&R 9.5.3a to 9.5.4 upgrade - Data Domain ddBoost share access broke

Post by ned »

B&R 9.5.3a to 9.5.4 upgrade - Data Domain ddBoost share access broke after upgrade.

Veeam Case #03380387
EMC Data Domain DD9300 - DDOS 6.1.1.5-582414 - using ddBoost

I upgraded one B&R 9.5.3a server to 9.5.4. Upgrade completed without issues. EMC Data Domain (DD) backup appliance access (ddBoost) now errors out. Rescans and backup copy jobs now fail with user access error. My backups are to "local" server disk with copy jobs direct to DD via network. (Not using FC SAN access to DD.) No gateway server. Tried resetting user password. Access works from 9.5.3a servers testing with same user/share.

Warning Failed to synchronize Backup Repository 1 Details: Failed to call RPC function 'DDBoostFindUnitInfo': the user has insufficient access rights. Err: 5075. Failed to connect to storage. Storage:
Failed to call RPC function 'DDBoostFindUnitInfo': the user has insufficient access rights. Err: 5075. Failed to connect to storage. Storage:
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: B&R 9.5.3a to 9.5.4 upgrade - Data Domain ddBoost share access broke

Post by csydas » 1 person likes this post

Hey Ned,

Try re-entering the password quick in the credentials manager in veeam. We had this with support and they asked us to try, strangely it worked.
ned
Enthusiast

Post by ned »

I tried resetting the password in Veeam. The issue ended up being the DD ddboost user was disabled for login. Although this same disabled user account worked fine with ddboost for existing 9.5.3a servers, I received ddboost repository access denied errors after the 9.5.4 upgrade. Support is researching this further. Thanks for the reply. Ned
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Ned, have you imported configuration backup after upgrade? Seems somehow password was corrupt during the upgrade procedure and a high number of logon attempts with the wrong password resulted in user account getting disabled.
ned
Enthusiast

Post by ned » 1 person likes this post

I did not import the configuration backup after the upgrade. I did reset the (Veeam credentials) ddboost user password. That did not work. My other 9.5.3a servers continued to access the ddb repos fine with the same ddb user-id/password. (Support mentioned a newer ddboost-related .dll file in use with Update 4.) The issue was resolved for the 9.5.4 server on the DD side by enabling the ddb user-id. It was disabled. I should have checked it, but with 9.5.3a working fine I did not. Case is still open for research, but my issue is resolved. Thanks for the reply. Ned
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for getting back to us with the resolution, Ned. We did update DDBoost SDK libraries in Update 4, so I guess some changes in one require this user to be enabled. Thanks again!
michele.berardo
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Michele Berardo

Post by michele.berardo »

I can confirm ned issue and resolution steps. Same identical environment here, 2 DD, after upgrading Veeam B&R from Update 3a to Update 4, both DD storages had DDBoost user account locked, I have enable user again and re-insert the password into the credential manager into Veeam Server.
Thank you ned for sharing your resolution.
m.