Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adb98
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Aaron B

SQL Restore Failures - Veeam Mount Server not honored

Post by adb98 »

I think I found a juicy bug in the Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SQL Server. Basically it is not honoring the Veeam Mount Server that we have set on the repository and is using the main VBR server by default. This is causing the restore to fail as the SQL server we are restoring from is 2016 with REFS and the main VBR Server Server 2012 R2. When you attempt to restore it tries to mount REFS volumes from 2016 to 2012 R2 which we all know will not work. This normally is not an issue we have a Server 2016 server setup as a mount server in Veeam just for this purpose. When we do need to do a restore normally we go into the repository and set the mount server to this and all is well. We did so and it is not honoring it. I can watch it attempt to mount on the main VBR server and then fail out.

To ensure it is just this piece that is broke, I did a FLR with a single file and it restored with no issues and shows the mount server being used is the 2016 box. Going to open a ticket with support but I was hoping someone may have some ideas on this.
adb98
Enthusiast

Re: SQL Restore Failures - Veeam Mount Server not honored

Post by adb98 »

Update on this. It seems it tries to use FLR when you try the "Export Backup" option and that is not honoring the Veeam Mount Server set. I take this as a new feature that still has a gremlin or two in it. Will still put a ticket in with support to report the bug and see if they have a work around.
adb98
Enthusiast

Post by adb98 »

Support ticket # 03412321
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Aaron, what staging server is configured in Veeam Explorer for SQL Server?