Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
antran
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tran Thanh Linh An

Veeam password lost protection

Post by antran »

Hi guys,
I have a following scenario that need to understand about the Veeam password lost protection
- Feb 18, 2019 - I generate a keyset from Veeam Enterprise Manager and enable password lost protection too. Besides i use a encryption password on Backup Server. After that, i perform the backup on Backup Server
- 4 weeks later, the new keyset automatically created on Veeam Enterprise Manager and change the encryption password Backup server.

If i perform a restoration the data on Feb 18, 2019, will i use the old encryption password, right? In case of i forget the old password, will i use the new keyset on Veeam Enterprise Manager which created 4 weeks later to decrypt the encryption or use the old keyset which created on Feb 18, 2019 ?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam password lost protection

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
If i perform a restoration the data on Feb 18, 2019, will i use the old encryption password, right?
Correct. The new password at the backup server will only be valid for the backups created 4 weeks later. So for today's (Feb 18) backups you will always use the password from today (the old password).
In case of i forget the old password, will i use the new keyset on Veeam Enterprise Manager which created 4 weeks later to decrypt the encryption or use the old keyset which created on Feb 18, 2019 ?
no, you will use the old key. In general, you don't need to take care of that, as long as you don't delete they keys manually in Enterprise manager. When you start the key recovery wizard, it will automatically detect and use the correct key. If the key was deleted, it will asks you to import the key first.

Best regards,
Hannes
antran
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tran Thanh Linh An

Post by antran »

@Hannesk: Hi
Thanks for your reply.
So that's mean we need to keep (backup) all keyset forever.
Can i ask that if i generate a new keyset every 4 weeks, how many total keysets can be created on Enterprise Manager
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

yes, you should keep all keysets. If you don't delete them, you always have all of them in a VM backup. Or you can export them.

I don't know the exact number of keysets, but I'm confident that you will not hit any limit :-)