Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
MILJW002
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: James Miller

[v3 BETA] Feedback on Modern Authentication and SharePoint Performance

Post by MILJW002 » 1 person likes this post

Hi All,

Not bugs, but I didn’t think you’d want stuff in the main thread.

1) Using Modern Authentication / Certificate Authentication
It works, but the instructions in the install guide assumed a level of knowledge of how to create a custom app registration. After a little guessing and prior experience it is working, but I think more explicit instructions would help everyone.

2) Improved Performance for SharePoint and OneDrive for Business
Yes, I agree with the “up to 30X” statement. With version 2.0 (with all the patches and tweaks) it would take hours, even if nothing had changed. As a small test, one user there would normally take 10 minutes to process (even with no new data) now takes about 20 seconds. Not sure what’s changed, but it appears it is no longer crawling every file and is now aware of what changed since the last backup.

I’ll be performing a full backup test over the next few days. It used to take 2ish hours (with no changes), so I’m keen to see the difference now.

Only initial impressions but looking great so far.

James
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: [v3 BETA] Feedback on Modern Authentication and SharePoint Performance

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hey James,

1. Correct. By GA time we will have a detailed (separate) guide and most likely a blogpost that runs through it. Polina has been working on it and it is more or less ready. But in case of changes to the GA version (you never know we hit something strange during beta testing) we don't publish it yet.

2. The full backup won't change. It is only the incremental one that makes a big difference because now it is easier for us to track the changes compared to what we needed to do before (Before it required us to check each file against the one in the backup to see if that was changed). But full remains the same as before (maybe some slight change but nothing big)
MILJW002
Enthusiast

Post by MILJW002 »

Sorry, yes, poor choice of words on my part. I would expect the full / initial backup duration not to change. Just confirming my experience with the incremental is exactly as advertised. Much more efficient. Very impressed.

I’ve only been trying the beta over the weekend, but already looking forward to GA.

J :-)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

James,

Keep playing with it please. Obviously I prefer no bugs are found but if there are, the faster we find them, the faster we can get to GA ;-)
poulpreben
Certified Trainer
Liked: 448 times
Full Name: Preben Berg

Post by poulpreben » 2 people like this post

As for point 2), it seems to me that even the initial full backup for OneDrive and SharePoint is orders of magnitude faster than with v2. I remember when first backing up my test org, each SharePoint site took around 35 minutes to process. It was the same for subsequent incrementals. They did run in parallel, so it was not a big deal. Although with v3 they all finished in about 5 minutes.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Preben,

That is a difference which we didn't expect to be honest. We did do some enhancements also in that are but your difference seems to be very big. But I am not complaining :-)
MILJW002
Enthusiast

Post by MILJW002 » 1 person likes this post

My experience is the same as Preben. The initial backup was also faster. Not as fast as the subsequent incrementals, but still faster. Very impressed!