Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
lshelton65gt
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lewis Shelton

VEEAM Monitor & ESXi 4.1 issues

Post by lshelton65gt »

Good Morning,

I've running combination of ESXi 4.1 (348481) and ESXi 3.5 207095. I have also been working with the free version of VEEAM monitor (5.0.0.261). Recently I started having a problem connecting to my 4.1 VMware servers with the vSphere client and with VEEAM monitor. Connecting to 3.5 was not a problem. After opening a case with VMware we discovered that my machine (which is the one running VEEAM Monitor) was trying to open proxy sessions on the 4.1 servers. After disabling VEEAM on my machine the problem went away, but now of course I can't use VEEAM.

Late last week I installed a new ESX 4.1 server and had the same problem with that one as well.

Has anyone esle seen this issue?

Thank you,
Lewis
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VEEAM Monitor & ESXi 4.1 issues

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Lewis,

This is definintely the first mentioning of such a problem on these forums.

Unfortunately, I do not understand what is "trying to open proxy sessions on the 4.1 servers". Could you please elaborate it further?

Thanks.
lshelton65gt
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lewis Shelton

Post by lshelton65gt »

Vitaliy,

To answer your question about the proxy connection, every 60 seconds I get one of these in the /var/log/messages file on the VMware server when the VEEAM services are started.

May 20 18:25:43 Hostd: [2011-05-20 18:25:43.787 5ECDBB90 verbose 'Proxysvc Req00000'] New proxy client SSL(TCP(local=192.168.1.142:49897, peer=192.168.1.202:443))

According to VMware, when the VMware server boots it sets the max proxy connections to 320 (see the log entry below). When this is reached, the server stops responding to certain requests like client connections. The VM's and the host continue to run normally, but in order to be able to regain hosts connections you have to ssh to the server and run the "/sbin/services.sh restart command". The only way to reset the proxy connections is to reboot the VMware host. There is also no way to increase the settings to something greater then 320.

May 20 18:25:43 Hostd: [2011-05-20 18:25:43.768 FF8CBE80 info 'Proxysvc'] Max proxy connections currently set to 320 , buffer size: 33000 bytes

Here are the steps I took to debug.
- Stopped the VEEAM Data Collector Service, and the SQL Server (VEEAM) on my machine
- Ran the "/sbin/services.sh restart command" on the VMware hosts
- Tested connectivity to VMware, and it worked fine
- Rebooted my machine and let the VEEAM services start
- After a few minutes VMware connectivity went away
- Stopped and disabled the VEEAM services
- Rebooted my machine and the problem has not come back

Thanks,
Lewis
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hm...it would be helpful if you we could take a look at Veeam Monitor logs files when the connection to ESXi host fails.

Could you please open a support ticket with us and send a link to this thread for the future reference?