Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
davide.asts
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Davide

AWS S3 internal test

Post by davide.asts »

Hi,

we are testing the AWS S3 storage together with the Veeam B&R U4.

We have created a dedicated server that will act as a gateway; now the question has been arised when we have to create rules on the firewall to reach AWS.

Looking at this URL https://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/lat ... anges.html provided by Amazon, each IP address range used by AWS is categorized by:

Code: Select all

* region: valid values are ap-northeast-1 | ap-northeast-2 | ap-northeast-3 | ap-south-1 | ap-southeast-1 | ap-southeast-2 | ca-central-1 | cn-north-1 | cn-northwest-1 | eu-central-1 | eu-north-1 | eu-west-1 | eu-west-2 | eu-west-3 | sa-east-1 | us-east-1 | us-east-2 | us-gov-east-1 | us-gov-west-1 | us-west-1 | us-west-2 | GLOBAL
* service: valid values are AMAZON | AMAZON_CONNECT | CLOUD9 | CLOUDFRONT | CODEBUILD | EC2 | GLOBALACCELERATOR | ROUTE53 | ROUTE53_HEALTHCHECKS | S3
Now when I try to configure the SOBR repository, I can only select "Global"... but which "service" is used by Veeam? Because I have to limit as much as possible the destination IP on the firewall for security reason, isn't possible to specify a region instead of using GLOBAL?

Thank you!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: AWS S3 internal test

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
do you mean the data center menu on this page?

Backup & Replication will connect to the data center you specified. So you can limit access to that data center on your firewall.

Best regards,
Hannes
davide.asts
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Davide

Post by davide.asts »

Hi Hannes,

thank you very much! We were so focusing on firewall policies than we lost that setting!

In any case we are disappointed by this test, we expected much more S3 functionalities… but nothing :(
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

good to hear :-)
we expected much more S3 functionalities… but nothing :(
not so good to hear... could you tell us which functionalities you are missing?

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: I moved the thread to the object storage forum