Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChrisGray
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Gray

Remove old server connection entry from B&R Console list

Post by ChrisGray »

Trying to figure out how to remove an old server from the Veeam B&R Console connection screen.

Old server was replaced and retired, but still remains in my list of connections. Because the old server name is so close to the new server, I keep mistakenly try to log into a server that doesn't exist. Would love to just remove it from the list, but don't see where those entries are kept.

Thanks,
Chris
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Remove old server connection entry from B&R Console list

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi Chris - is the server like a Windows Server that did a role (like proxy) or a vCenter, Hyper-V or standalone host, etc?

If so, and as long as there are not jobs using it, you should be able to remove it from the Backup Infrastructure part of the B&R UI, and in there in the Managed Servers list. If any object, like a backup job, is still scheduled to use it - you will be prompted as such and will have to reconfigured the job (or remove it) before able to remove the server. I will say, sometimes server connections get "stuck" even though you may have removed everything - and in that case our support team can intervene and remove it via support tools.
Florian_K
Lurker

Post by Florian_K » 1 person likes this post

Hi Chris,

you can delete old servers by editing this file:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Veeam_Software_AG\veeam.backup.shell.exe_Url_[......]\9.5.0.0\user.config

At the bottom you can find the line "<setting name="BackupServersList" serializeAs="String">" - below that line you can edit the values.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hey,

We don't recommend to edit any config files of the product. Thanks!
ChrisGray
Novice

Post by ChrisGray »

Dmitry, If the direct editing of the config files is not recommended; I don't seen the decommissioned server listed in user.conf anyway, how do I remove a server that has been successfully decommissioned from this list?
Again, this is a cosmetic issue and there are no 'dead' servers. This is a case of my server was retired and services successfully migrated, but the old server is still showing in my local console connection list as an available server to connect or log in to. Because it's name is so close to the live server, I occasionally mistakenly try to log into this retired server, I thought it would as simple as editing a file.

Thanks
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

@ChrisGray - support can manipulate the listed servers if the "remove" option is not working as expected in the Managed Servers list of the UI.
ChrisGray
Novice

Post by ChrisGray »

I edited the correct user.config file and it's now out of the list.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

I am glad that nothing has been broken, thank you for follow up!