Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

MSSQL backup: no TLog backup after restore

Post by sandsturm »

Hi

After I restore a MSSQL database to the original location, for this database no transaction log backups are executed any more until I create Full/Incremental backup of this MSSQL backup server. Is that a default behavior or have I done something wrong?
In my opinion, the transaction log backup should go on in the configured schedule, doesn't matter if a database was restored or not. The other way would be, to create an incremental backup after each database restore, but that would be bad, because then I have to create a backup of the complete server on all MSSQL instances just to "re-enable" the transaction log backup for a single database on this server.

thx,
sandsturm
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: MSSQL backup: no TLog backup after restore

Post by HannesK »

Hello Sandsturm,
I understand, that log backup always should "just work". But without a new image level backup we could not do restores.
Transaction log backup requires that at least one image-level backup of SQL Server VM is performed, so remember that:
from here

Best regards,
Hannes
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

my 2 cents: although the machine is the same, the restored database has a different ID, thus transaction log backup cannot be "just continued".

Thanks!
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Is this something you will change in your processing of doing MSSQL backups in the future maybe?
My main problem is, that I have MSSQL server with a lot of different databases running on it and I cannot create a fullbackup (imagelevel-backup) of the whole server during business hours, just because I had to restore one single database.
How do other Veeam-customers do this? We have our RPO's that we have to fullfill and if we wait until the next fullbackup (every evening) until the transcationlog backups works again after a restore of a database, we cannot fullfil our RPO's.
You as Veeam talk always from very small RTO/RPO, but in this case, it's an unacceptable RPO....

thx
sandsturm
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Haven't you tried using Quick Backup for that VM right after the restore, instead of waiting for the next scheduled job run? It creates an incremental backup, so might be applicable even during business hours.
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Quick Backup will no solve my problem, because the QuickBackup job does a Backup for the complete server with all databases on it, and I just want to have an option to backup just one single database on this server in this case. Or any other solution, where I can guarantee our RPO's without doing a backup of the complete server....

thx,
sandsturm
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Does no one has an answer on this topic? Can't understand that no other company would not have the same problem... It's really difficult to argue with our database administrators, because before we migrated to Veeam, this wasn't a problem and now they question the whole backup solution because of such topics. (There were some other issues with MSSQL backup). If you as Veeam really want to act as an Enterprise backup solution partner, you should have answers on such topics like this....

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of your solutions, but in some points (which are important for larger companies) there is room for improvement.

thx
sandsturm
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I guess that the database administrators had a VDI plugin before or did any other native file-based SQL backup.

With image based backup, some of the classic file based approaches are not possible.

So our only possible answer would be a VDI plugin (which will not happen in the near future)

Yes, also other customers ask for file / database-granularity. But most of them also say, that they rate the advantages higher. But take your request as counted for a plugin.

Best regards,
Hannes
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

thx for your answer
Before we had Veeam, our database admins used to have native MSSQL backup which was managed by scripts. Unfortunately our database admins don't rate the advantage of an image-based backup higher :-)
I hope, I will see here some other customers which do have the same pain to create more requests for a solution.

thx
sandsturm