Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Migrate to scale out and object storage

Post by frankive »

Case:
Customer has 1 local repo with 28 restore points (28 days in this case).
They have an additional backy copy job with a GFS of 12 month monthløy backup, and yearly backup for 5 years.
They also have a second backup copy job with 7 days retention to us, as a cloud provier with VCC.

The goal:
Establish a scale out repository with one local repository with the 28 days of restore point (same as todays existing repository) and the existing data (and new) for the GFS should go out to the azure object storage which we have established.

Should we import all backup files, both form the 28 days repository and the gds repository into one local reposity, and the scale out repository will do some magic here which leaves the same behavior like now, only the GFS data is located on the azure storage?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Migrate to scale out and object storage

Post by veremin »

You should:

- Add object storage repository
- Create a new Scale-Out Backup Repository with Capacity Tier enabled
- Add object storage repository as a capacity extent
- Migrate backup data from simple repository to SOBR (move and map)
- Wait till capacity tier sync takes place and offloads data (that fall out of the specified operational restore window) to the object storage

Thanks!
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

so we should migrate the data both from the main backup job (28 restore points) + the GFS data in the other job? ( i think this job consisist of appx 12 full 15 full backup, 12 last months and the last 3 years).

Wlil the scale out then send out all the data from the gfs repoisotry to the object storage and "remove" the data from the former gds-repository?
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Hmm, perhaps this is the solution?

- leave my 28 days primary repository local as it is.
- crete a scale out repo and move my exising GFS repository (create by a backup copy job with GFS retention policies) and set it to move the data to object storage explorer after 0 days.

In this case my GFS all will go go the object storage, while the local GFS is just a metadataholder local. When all data is migrated to azure object storage i could even remove the local GFS repository

What do you think?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Correct, you can migrate only backup copy job to SOBR with Capacity Tier enabled and let the later move GFS backups to object storage, but you shouldn't remove local repository as restore points not belonging to GFS retention scheme will still need to land somewhere. Thanks!
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

"but you shouldn't local repository as restore points not belonging to GFS retention scheme will still need to land somewhere."

What did you exactly mean here? :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

When all data is migrated to azure object storage i could even remove the local GFS repository"
I was specifically talking about this sentence. You cannot make SOBR place data directly in blob storage - local extent will still be needed. Thanks!
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

We have an folder with GFS data which is now not connected to any backup copy job.
What will happen if I add this folder to the scale out repository? would it migrate all those older .vbk files to object storage also and make those recovery points avaiable? will it follow the retention period from the repository that is beeing used now, or will it stay in the object storage "forever" since it is not handled directly by any backup copy job?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Good question, we will need to confirm the exact behavior with R&D.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Thanks.
Would be great if it would be possible to get the older gfs job (and restore points) to the azure blob, even the jobs/backup files is not connected to any backup copy jobs anymore.

Hmm, perhaps I could create a dummy backup copy job, map the backup, point it to the scale out. I guess since scale will see the restore points is older than 30 days it would ship them out..
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Nope, points without a job associated with them won't be moved to Capacity Tier.

Without a job we won't even know when to remove them, since there will be no retention settings we can use.

Thanks!
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

What if we create a dummy job with the existing files?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Should work fine, but do you still have a .vbm file in place? Without it you won't be possible to map dummy job to existing backup files. Thanks!