Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
csmall
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Colin Small

Synology Rackstation Repository Performance

Post by csmall »

I'm trying to troubleshoot and identify the cause of bottlenecks when performing Backup Copy Jobs.

There are two Synology Rackstation's, one is the main Backup Job repository and the other is an identical Rackstation used for Backup Copy Job's.
RAID6 + 20Gb (I understand RAID6 will be slower on writes, I'm trying to determine if that is the cause of my performance issues or something else as I don't experience any trouble really with the regular Backup Jobs on the other Synology.)

Each is accessed via its own Linux server with an NFS mount. The Linux server does not seem to have any bottleneck (CPU,Memory,Network(10Gb))

I'm getting pretty slow speeds on job's that hit the Backup Copy Job Synology. The Backup Copy job reports 98% Target as the bottleneck while running an Active Full. It is the only job running.

The job vm is probably 1.5TB with a lot of change (email).

How can I determine the true cause of the bottleneck? The Synology is not currently showing high utilization of any resources and I am getting about 11MBps on the job processing.

I know Diskspd.exe is suggested for testing performance but how can I test it successfully from the Linux server? Using dd? if so, what options would be best to try?
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Synology Rackstation Repository Performance

Post by csydas »

fio tends to be a bit more robust for your testing purposes and there are tons of basic fio templates you can find on various git repos. My guess is you're seeing some issues going over NFS, but I'd be curious what results you get from the fio tests.

https://linux.die.net/man/1/fio
csmall
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Colin Small

Re: Synology Rackstation Repository Performance

Post by csmall »

I'll check out io.

The original full to the same storage was originally done over CIFS and it was fast.

The fact that I do not see high disk ir volume utilization on the Synology and nothing else has high utilization it makes me wonder what is going on