Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
iburnell
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ian Burnell

Restore to a new disk

Post by iburnell »

I extended our VM data server from 1.85 to 2.5TB (holding users' home drives). After rebooting disk shows as "at risk". it has already been expanded three times so not great. Tried usual things like offline/online chkdsk etc. We've come to the conclusion easiest is simply to create a new Virtual disk of 2.5tb and use latest B&R full to recover the H drive to the new disk - lets call it G
I could do a Guest file restore selecting the root H drive and selecting the new destination but can't help feeling there's a better way to do it. Remember don't want to clone the disk since it has errors - rather copy the directory/files and security obviously to the new disk. Robocopy not perfect because of security permissions

Advice please?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restore to a new disk

Post by HannesK »

Hello Ian,
disk resizing is a common task and should not end up with "at risk" status. As this is a Microsoft Windows message, I can only suggest to asks a Microsoft expert / support.

Of course you can always do restores with Veeam (Explorer or copy tool of your choice), but I don't believe that this really makes sense.

Best regards,
Hannes