Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Windos
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Josh King

[v3 BETA] Documentation: Clarification around *OneDriveFolders

Post by Windos »

I imagine this may naturally end up being covered in GA documentation or blog posts, but just in case:

Hoping to get a little clarification on the interaction between "SelectedOneDriveFolders" and "ExcludedOneDriveFolders".

Can they both be specified at the same time, and what happens if I do? Which takes precedence?
Part of what I'm getting at here is that specifying a Selected folder implies everything else is Excluded (and vice versa)... except for child directories (I assume)

Does this only check for folders in the root of each OneDrive, or is it recursive (to x levels or infinite)?

Are wild cards supported?

Loving the update, thanks team!

~Josh
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: [v3 BETA] Documentation: Clarification around *OneDriveFolders

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Josh,

This is a small example:

Code: Select all

Set-VBOJob -Job $job -SelectedOneDriveFolders "Amazing Folder", "Notebooks" -ExcludedOneDriveFolders "Amazing Folder/Excluded Folder"
Or
$folders = @("test", "test2", "test3")
Set-VBOJob -Job $job -SelectedOneDriveFolders $folders -ExcludedOneDriveFolders "Amazing Folder/Excluded Folder"
This will give you the possibility to use multiple folders in your exclusion/ inclusion criteria.
At this moment, wild cards are NOT supported. We might look into that for another version but it won't be in v3.

Normally, as per our standard practice, exclusions take priority over inclusions (but I will verify to be sure)
Also, we look not only in the root, but on all levels.
Windos
Influencer

Post by Windos »

Just one follow on from that example, regarding this syntax for an exclusion

Code: Select all

"Amazing Folder/Excluded Folder"
If I'm reading that right, it'll exclude the "Excluded Folder" only if it's found directly inside a folder called "Amazing Folder" right? As opposed to if you just excluded "Excluded Folder" and then it'd just be excluded regardless of where it was found (inside the included directories.)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes, in that case it does. I should have given a better example :-)

However, imagine that you have something like "blablabla/bla2/bla3/amazing folder/excluded folder" it should be skipped also.
But yes, just using "Excluded folder" regardless of where it is should be skipped.

I just asked for clarification so I hope that I can give the definitive response soon to you
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

hey Josh,

I need to clarify some things:
1. Exclude indeed is overtaking include
2. What I wrote above about the "Excluded Folder" is not correct I'm afraid. It would need to be in the "Amazing Folder\Excluded Folder" format. Something I will need to add as a FR for next version
3. And as said, including a folder will automatically include subfolders, unless a specific subfolder is excluded :-)
RossFawcett
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ross Fawcett

Post by RossFawcett »

From what I am seeing, exclude doesn't seem to take precedence. I have got a job setup to backup the entire organization, but then want to exclude personal one drives, so I have a "Personal Sites" exclusion added as the type "Sites Group" which when you expand in the tree looks to be the personal OneDrive. However when the job runs, I can still see it running against all the users OneDrives. Seeing this whether I exclude the individual one drive, or the overarching personal sites.
Windos
Influencer

Post by Windos »

Pretty sure we're talking about two different exclusions here, Ross.

But... I know what you're trying to do and you're going to need to add a group that contains all of your users on the "select items to exclude" step in the wizard, then edit the listing to choose just OneDrive (and potentially also personal sites), e.g:

Effectively saying: "Exclude OneDrive (+ Sites) for these users"

The group I've used in my example would effectively do this for all staff.
RossFawcett
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ross Fawcett

Post by RossFawcett »

Sort of related, exclusion behavior related anyway.

This is what I had excluded

It does look like what I was using to exclude OneDrive, isn't actually what Veeam considers OneDrive, even though your personal SharePoint URL path is actually your OneDrive. Maybe I am too used to thinking of OneDrive as just another SharePoint site with permissions.

Thanks for the tip on the group method, that seems to work well. Hopefully in the final build they will have a cleaner way to separate these out. Now to figure out why Veeam can't see my AzureAD security groups, but can see distribution groups.

** Update **

Also I didn't have to exclude the site portion of the group, only the OneDrive.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey all,
There is a difference between OneDrive for Business (which technically is indeed a SharePoint library with a special view) and Personal site. They are not considered to be the same and we also threat them differently.

Widows is right. For your case, the best way you can do is add the entire organization. On that include page, press the edit page and deselect personal site AND OneDrive for Business (which are type Site and OneDrive): See here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=20

For the AzureAD security groups. You are correct. Now we use entities that are known in O365. We might connect deeper into Azure AD in the future