Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marshall28
Novice
Liked: never

esxi to esxi WAN Replication - Rsync/FastSCP?

Post by marshall28 »

I'm looking into backup products right now and found veeam. My situation is this:

I have two sites. One is the primary and one is the backup. I have identical servers with local SAS storage of about 1TB at each. My plan is to install ESXi on each server and at the primary site run veeam backup to create these backup snapshots of the virtual machines, on the fly to USB 2.0 storage, while they are running. I will then rsync these images from the USB drive at the primary site to the secondary sites esxi server's USB local storage drive. From here I would copy the vmware images to the local SAS storage on the secondary server so that it's available for easy mount in case of the primary site disaster.

Can veeam facilitate this with it's backup and with fastscp? please elaborate on if there is a solution for my situation. I gave the idea with rsync but if there is a way to do incremental snapshot images over a VPN connection to a secondary site using veeam I would like to know.

thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: esxi to esxi WAN Replication - Rsync/FastSCP?

Post by Gostev »

Why all this complexity? Why not just replicate these VMs with Veeam?
marshall28
Novice
Liked: never

Post by marshall28 »

so I can do incremental image based backups on the fly across a WAN VPN tunnel to another esx server and store these images in that remote sites datastore?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can. Please take a look at sticky F.A.Q. topic for more information about job types.