Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Windos
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Josh King

Feature Request: More Granularity within OneDrive for Business

Post by Windos »

The Included/Excluded OndeDrive Folder options coming up in v3 are great, and alleviates my concern about trying to backup many terabytes of data in the coming years.

In a future release I'd love to see his expanded in three ways:

1. Support wildcards in folder names, e.g. "Critical*" matching any folder starting with the word "Critical"
2. Configurable recursion depth, e.g. depth = 0 only looks to include/exclude folders in the root of a users' OneDrive, and depth = 5 would look deeper. Default should remain as unlimited recursion.
3. File name/extension filtering, e.g. excluding all *.iso files or including only *.docx files.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request: More Granularity within OneDrive for Business

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Josh,

Yes, these are certainly feature enhancements we can look into. I am glad that the current version already solves a bit of your issues. The way we designed it is because I spoke with a lot of enterprises on this topic. Most of them have 1 of 2 policies in-house:
1. Create a folder in the root called work: Everything under that is protected
2. Create a folder in the root called private: Do what you want, but we ignore it completely.

That said, we obviously talked about your 3 additional requests but it is a bit more difficult as it seems and in most cases it could actually slow down the backup (and sometimes a lot). The reason is that we need to go through each folder, make a inclusion list, see what is changed...

But I do understand the requests and this will certainly looked at further on.

Mike
Windos
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Josh King

Re: Feature Request: More Granularity within OneDrive for Business

Post by Windos »

If I could vote on one of those three that would be my primary request, it'd be the recursion one. Maybe even simplified to just "root only".

My thinking here is I want to backup "/Work/" but don't want to back up "/Cool eBooks/Work/" but users are weird and I wouldn't know ahead of time to exclude "Cool eBooks".