Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Windos
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Josh King

[Feature Request] Include Office 365 Backups in (VBR) Backup Copy Jobs

Post by Windos »

To be fair, this ties a lot into my VBR console integration request, as once the consoles are integrated I doubt this would be the same sort of an issue as it is now.

Currently, to include your Office 365 backups in a copy job you'd first have to backup the storage (or server) where those silo-ed backup files are stored with VBR and then include those new VBR backups in a copy job.

In order to get them back, I imagine you'd then have to restore the storage through VBR, import it into the Office 365 console, and then do another restore within that console.

As fast as Veeam products are... that's going to be a long RTO :P

A tangential request, as I guess it gets to the end goal of this request, is support shipping O365 data to dedupe appliances (like the HPE StoreOnce.)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request: Include Office 365 Backups in (VBR) Backup Copy Jobs

Post by Mike Resseler »

Josh,

If VBO runs on a VM, and you protect it with VBR then the image-level backup in VBR is aware that it is a VBO server so Item-level recovery works without the need to restore the entire VM.

The problem with integrating VBO into VBR backups is that both are very different. VBO uses a running database as a repository (which gives fast restore and loading of the explorers and we need it to do online comparisons when a backup runs). VBR uses (what I call) flat files that are stored on a filesystem.

The running database will never be able to run on any dedupe appliance (although I heard that it can run on a nimble primary dedupe storage... but never tested this myself). To be able to take advantage of VBR repositories and do copy backup jobs, we would need to make a lot of modifications to how the data is stored.

My question would rather be: Do you want that? Or do you prefer a solution that offloads to object storage? Or maybe even a completely different idea (No, burning on DVD's is not something I want to support :-D :-D)

Let us know
Mike
Windos
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Josh King

Post by Windos »

I hadn't considered FLR of the 365 backup data, that makes things better.

I wonder if VBO could have it "own" style of backup copy job that somehow carries out a process to store the data long term elsewhere (with no expectation of being able to recover/run from the copy directly)

Honestly, now that you've mentioned the FLR, I don't see the value in my request anymore :P
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Well, there still is... It probably won't be VBR style of BCJ :-)