Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
StefanNL
Influencer
Liked: never

Selective data to tape from GFS backup copy job

Post by StefanNL »

Hi all,

I'm still learning about Veeam so sorry if I ask stupid questions but I can't find what I want to do so I'm just going to go ahead and ask it here.

We have a very large repository filled with mostly weekly, monthly and yearly backup copy job data on disk.
I would like to only save the monthly and yearly data *_M* and *_Y* files to tape via the files to tape method and create media pools that reflect the required retention period for said files.

My question is, is there a relationship between the other files in a backup copy job repository folder that would prevent me from restoring from these _M and _Y files if I save only those files and if so, what files are these? Do I need to save all the _W files as well? I'm trying to prevent the writing of many TB's to tape that I will never be using.

Thanks in advance
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Selective data to tape from GFS backup copy job

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

No dependencies, those files are independent full backups that can be restored separately. Thanks!
StefanNL
Influencer

Post by StefanNL »

Thank you, that's good to know!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should other help be needed, let us know. Thanks!
kentsu
Novice
Full Name: Kenneth

Post by kentsu »

As you told that you are new on veeam product I feel that I want to highlight one point that could have a huge impact on your approach. Just to avoid confusion and unexpected result. Backing up files to tape will just be files on tape. Veeam will have no clue nor is it able to catalog what VMs and what restore points are stored within that *_M.vbk file. With this approach you will meet your criteria on backup and retention but you will easily be into a restore-nightmare to find the correct tape containing the VM and restore point you are looking for. Unless you have great naming conventions on your files.