Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cbraafhart
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Christopher Braafhart

Retention or Restore point Policy not being applied.

Post by cbraafhart »

Hi everybody and new to the forum but will immediately dive into a problem.

I am currently setting up backup schedules for a specific client but this client is limited to Storage capacity.
I have a few schedules created with al having the same specific settings, as followed:

I have set compression level to Extreme(because i want to use as little capacity as possible)
Every backup is scheduled to start after the completion of another backup. 1 follows 2, 3 starts after 2 finishes and 4 starts after 3 finishes etc.
All have a retention policy of 6 Restore points.
Backup runs everyday around 5 o'clock(first backup starts at this point) and a synthetic backup is created every Sunday.

First backup was created the 12th of February 2019( Total size of the first day was 620GB) after 7 consecutive backups this has turned into 1.3TB. With one synthetic created on the 17th of February 2019.

Is it possible the amount of restore points is at 7 due to the fact at the creation of the first synthetic backup it did not have more than 6 restore points created?

I want it to only have 6 restore points and after creating a full backup it deletes what is not necessary and starts of again by creating 6 new restore points having 1 full as backup.

Thank you in advanced for everybody's help.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Retention or Restore point Policy not being applied.

Post by veremin »

Nope, it's not possible. You can either switch to forward forever incremental mode and have the exact number of restore points specified or leave everything as is and have from 6 to 11 restore points.

These animations should clarify your confusion.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Retention or Restore point Policy not being applied.

Post by foggy »

It is actually possible if you specify the retention to keep only one restore point - in this case the old part of the chain (full+incrementals) will be deleted after synthetic full creation. Not a recommended setup though, since having just a single restore point is prone to data loss.