Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JasonJoel
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jason Bottjen

Changed backup type - what happens to all the old VBK/VIBs?

Post by JasonJoel »

When I setup all of my original backup tasks, I configured them as INCREMENTAL + SYNTHETIC FULLS, with a retention of 30 points.

I changed them to REVERSE INCREMENTAL, with a retention of 30 points.

Now, what happens to all of the VBK and VIB files that were created under the original scheme? They are still in the storage location, along with some VBK and VIB that have been created since changing the backup properties. Will the original files obey the retention settings and purge themselves out, or are they orphaned and now need to be manually deleted?

Jason
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Changed backup type - what happens to all the old VBK/VI

Post by Gostev »

VIB files will be transformed into VRB files going back from VBK (full backup and latest restore point). All VIB files will be removed immediately, one by one as a part of the transformation process.

The whole process may take a while because of the amount of points you already have, so better make the change before the weekend backup. I actually would not recommend changing backup mode on existing jobs when you are this far in terms of restore points (too much processing required, too much stress on storage, may take way too long). I would just create the new job with required settings and start clean, especially if free space on your backup storage allows.

Thanks.
JasonJoel
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jason Bottjen

Post by JasonJoel »

Interesting. I changed the 40 or so backup jobs last week. Thus far I haven't seen any existing VIB or VBK files transform into anything. They are all still there.

I'll probably just wait a few weeks and then delete the old files. Not a big deal.

Jason Bottjen
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Sorry Jason, I was thinking about something else when I wrote the above (specifically about enabling transform on existing incremental mode job). So, please disregard everything I said. In your case, enabling different backup mode should have just created new VBK file, and start updating this file each following incremental run while producing VRB files. Older VBK and VIB files should be deleted automatically according to your retention policy - assuming you are running the latest version, which is 5.0.2.230. Thanks.