Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rdmtech
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Explorer for Exchange long restore times

Post by rdmtech »

I have a question and a feature request.

The question is why does it take so long to restore Exchange items?

I have a client that has 8 Exchange databases. Their Exchange server went down. We lost some email so I had to use Veeam to restore email for a specific period of time. From 6am to 11am the next day (29 hours). I start the restore, select one of the databases and wait for a minimum of two hours before I'm able to restore any items. I have to do this for all 8 databases separately as I've read doing this for more than a single database at a time isn't recommended. So I dug a bit deeper into why this is taking so long and I'm seeing a large number of memory faults. The Veeam server has 6 cores and 32GB of RAM and the restore is the only job running. Is this normal behavior?

The feature request....

Please add the ability to do an advanced search, select items, right click and restore to original locations. The way it works now is I do an advanced search, sort by folder and select one user at a time and restore. If I select items for more than a single user I am unable to restore to the original location. This severely restricts the usefulness of the advanced search functionality. I have thousands of users and this extends the restore process dramatically.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Explorer for Exchange long restore times

Post by foggy »

Is this normal behavior?
Depending on your setup... Could you please elaborate on where are the Veeam B&R components (backup server itself, backup repository, mount server, remote console if you're using it for restore installed?
rdmtech
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Post by rdmtech »

The Veeam backup and mount servers are on the same server. I'm also running the console via the same server as well. The backup repository is on a NAS connected via CIFS on a separate storage VLAN. The backup server and backup repositories are all connected to the same switch. I'm seeing large amounts of hard faults for the Veeam.Exchange.Explorer.exe process. The backup server has 32GB of RAM. Does it need more?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
for "thousands of users" the setup might be undersized (e.g. the NAS). If you see that you are out of RAM, then I would try more RAM first.

It also depends on the version. We added performance improvements in U4 in many places.

Best regards,
Hannes