Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
marama
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Marama

Recommendation needed - offsite backup repository

Post by marama »

Hello.
We're using Veeam Backu Essentials to backup and replicate our ~50 VMs. We also have an offiste backup repository that is nothing but a physical windows server in an apartment running Veeam Agent and with a 4TB HDD, where the backup copies get dumped. In order to make it more secure and robust, we're thinking of moving the setup to the cloud with Veeam Cloud Connect, but the cost seems to be too high for us (>$500 / month for repository + license).
As far as I can tell, the cheaper way would be to go for, for example, Amazon AWS, with EC2 instance running Veaam Backup Agent, and a 4TB HDD. It would be somewhat cheaper: we would be able to use the current license, and the ~8 hour uptime + 4TB disk would be less then $300 / month. Since it's another layer with it's own point of failure, it would probably be not as robust, but I'd like to hear if my thinking/logic is correct. Building own infrastructure on AWS instead of using the provided repository: any pros and cons (recovery, speed...)? Is there even cheaper option for it? What would be your recommendation for the setup? Should we go for VTL, or a conventional storage would do?
Thanx
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Recommendation needed - offsite backup repository

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
mostly it depends on your personal preferences.

From a software perspective it makes no real difference whether you use a repository VM (no Veeam costs) in Azure, Google, AWS, whatever provider or use cloud connect. Just add that VM as a repository and point your backup copy job there. The only thing you need to take care of if you host your own VM is the security of that VM and how to access it (probably VPN). Also egress costs might be a factor for restores.

I personally don't like VTLs as they (tape in general) don't allow single file restore. From an "air gap" perspective (virtual) tape has advantages.

Best regards,
Hannes
marama
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Marama

Post by marama »

Hi Hannes!

Do you think VPN would be necessary since we can whitelist our IP and the Backups are encrypted anyway? (I'm aware of IP spoofing).
We would use it for backup copies, so only in total disaster case when we'd need to recover whole VMs. So I don't think we'd need single file resotres, and I egress would only be of relevance in such disaster cases. Single file recovery would be covered by our onsite backup jobs.

Where can I find pros and cons of VTLs compared to standard HDD storage? As I've aid, we only need it for backup copies and will hopefully never need to restore. Would maybe S3/Glacier be a better option for us?

Thanx
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
well, I personally like to have VPN everywhere, but well, even the Veeam traffic will be encrypted automatically as soon as we see a public IP as a source / destination... (also configurable in the general network settings).

If you don't need single file restore, then VTL could be fine. I recommend to check out for restore speed limitations (I have in mind that there were some in earlier times).

I'm not aware of a pro / con list somewhere from our side. VTL = Tape limitations. Usually the most important one is single file restore.

Best regards,
Hannes
ahmadalsayed
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: ahmad M. Al-Sayed

Post by ahmadalsayed »

Hello Dears
i need your support to provide me with the right setup. I have 4 physical servers running Windows 2012 R2 (AD, File Server, MS Dynamic & SQL). with total size 1 TB.
I'm looking to build VBR under instance based license to backup setup above. so, I do appreciate your feedback for the below points:
1-initial size needed for the local repository covering retention below
a-daily incremental.
b-weekly full - for 4 weeks.
c- monthly full - for 3 months.

2-if I need to consider Backup copy to Azure. so,
a-what is the storage size needed on Azure according to the above size I have?
b-what is the recommended Azure storage size?
c- what is the limitation I will have based on the scenario I mentioned?
d-what is the minimum bandwidth needed and how to calculate?
e-is Veeam® PN (Powered Network) needed in this case ? and how to setup it?
f-what is the time required to achieve a backup copy to Azure?
g-do I need to consider WAN acceleration or not? if yes. then when I need it? what is the Veeam license required for it?
h-what is the supported Veeam license needed to achieve Backup Copy to Azure/AWS or other repositories?
i-recommended solution for such a scenario?

appreciate your urgent feedback and support.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello Ahmad,
as you seem new to Veeam, just in case you did not see it already, please keep in mind that today GFS is only available for backup copy jobs.

With your requirements that would mean that you do the daily and optional weekly to the primary repository. As you mention you like to copy to Azure, you would have a VM in azure running the repository role.

a: that depends mainly on the filesystem you run on the Azure repository VM (ReFS vs. NTFS). I usually calculate with 50% data reduction, 5% daily change rate (in your case higher because you have 25% SQL servers which is above average), 25% monthly change rate (in your case higher because you have more 25% SQL servers which is above average)
b: see a. The restore point simulator can help you calculating
c: I don't see any right now
d: if you have the backup size, just calculate with the time you want to spend transferring the data. As you probably will not have Enterprise Plus edition with WAN accelerator: the data you see on your primary / local repository is the amount of data that gets transferred
e: no. you can use any technology to connect between the primary repository and the repository VM in azure
f: depends on your bandwidth - see d
g: depends on time and bandwidth you have - in general, it is not a requirement :-)
h: backup copy job is included in every edition. If your idea was to copy directly to S3 / Azure blob then I have to disappoint you... we don't support that yet
i: looks good (except if you wanted something different as I mention in h)

Best regards,
Hannes
ahmadalsayed
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: ahmad M. Al-Sayed

Post by ahmadalsayed »

first of all, I would like to thank you for your feedback. however, I need your help to show me how to deal with backup size as I'm not sure if what I did in the calculator is right. keeping in mind
1- total size need to be backup 1 TB.
2-daily data changes around 15%.
3- a backup policy we are looking for as below:
A- incremental Reverse Backup.
B-Daily Backup for 28 days.
C-Retention period for full monthly backup is 3 months and for weekly full is one month with daily incremental

4-Backup Copy to Azure must be considered as an offsite backup. where primary local backup repository will be locally on the backup server.
5-Azure Storage type to be used for Backup copy.
6-Azure storage can be managed using backup server veeam consol or it requires a dedicated VM on Azure.
7-to achieve Backup copy on Azure we need to configure Veeam VPN or not necessary

thanks in advance.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
sorry for my late reply, I was on vacation.

For 28 days with reverse incremental you would configure this in the restore point simulator

For copy with 3 months and weekly full and one month daily it would bis this for the backup copy job

5: as mentioned, direct copy to Azure blob storage is not possible today. You need a VM running in Azure (or where ever you like) with the "repository" role. You point the backup copy job to that repository. See this blog post for some details
6: today only as "capacity tier" which means old backups get moved to Azure. Copy to Azure blob is not possible today
7: VeeamPN is never required. You can use whatever VPN solution you like to connect the VM in Azure with your on-prem network.

Best regards,
Hannes